The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did all my research, bean animal seems to be the way to go. Who is running one? Thoughts, ideas suggestions. Is a C2C weir still the way to go?

Thanks
yup, C2C

either with 2 pieces of acrylic or glass bonded together to shape a L

or find something like this with long weirs:

^ someone one is selling that on ebay, exotic_marine or something

or you can go partial C2C like this:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/custom-150g-shallow-riparium-journal.556741/

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya guess my research was not good enough to catch that! LOL..

Well in rethinking this...an external sure saves space in the tank. Mine is a 50gal so saving room is big.
AND I should be able to build my own internal weir box. Since that does not have to be water tight, that's kind of a no brainer. Then it comes down to the external box. I should be able to build one out of acrylic, just have to make sure I get it water tight.

I'm going for the external one!! I was having research paralysis but now glad I slept on it!! Time to start CADing it up!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up some 1 1/2" bulkheads today. I plan on using them as at the internal box drains. Two of them about 6 inches apart.
But my question is, is there any problem using 1 1/2 inch tank drains to 1" plumbing in the external box?
I'm guessing the drains will only dump as much water as the output can drain down to the sump and return it???

Man sch80 1 1/2" bulkheads are beefy!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not trying to insult, but before you make the buy and spend the big bucks, I would definitely make sure my tank isn't tempered glass. Most 50's and 55's are tempered.

·
Registered
70 Posts
well its an oceanic, its an old tank but there website says bottom is tempered and the sides are not.
First thing I checked.:wink2:
Ok. Just making sure. If feel bad if something were to happen and know u had the chance to say something. Good on checking that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
still doesn't mean I wont f it up when I drill! lol..:surprise:
you can tape the other side or place a bucket in there while drilling.

make a template with wood or spare acrylic and just pour some water in the hole while drilling

i'm not speaking from experience though, only observation lol

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
mock up

Did a matt board full mock up. Glad I did a couple things became obvious:

1. My external box is too deep, the bulk heads will waterfall into the box, its ten inches high...can cut that down a bit.
2. The 1" bulkheads for the plumbing are too close together, should be able to spread them out and move them back away from the end of the bulkhead.
3. I may cut the extra length off the overflow bulkheads. I will see once I move the 1" plumbing pipes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Consider taking the easy way out?

Aquarium overflow box 700gph

$80. 20 minutes. Hole saw included. Done.
when I get around to getting large tank, i think bean animal is 100% the way to go. it has a fail safe on overflow if a snail is a dick and clogs one of the pipes.

Also its incredibly silent.

But if i were to drill my 40B i would go the glass holes kit

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Consider taking the easy way out?

Aquarium overflow box 700gph

$80. 20 minutes. Hole saw included. Done.
Not what I'm looking for. Tiny box, its got teeth, no bean animal. Besides there is no fun in that!:wink2:

I just need to make a couple changes to my CAD file and I'm good to go! Will probably cut the acrylic tomorrow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Not what I'm looking for. Tiny box, its got teeth, no bean animal. Besides there is no fun in that!:wink2:

I just need to make a couple changes to my CAD file and I'm good to go! Will probably cut the acrylic tomorrow.
how thick is the acrylic? 1/4" ?

i would add some cross braces on the external portion just in case it might bow

·
Registered
81 Posts
im running several tanks with modified bean animals, i never had the room for the emergency drain, My main tank i built a glass external box with 2 3/4 pipes, one full siphon one partial, in the tank i had 2 holes drilled , with a piece of glass on an angle setting the level in the tank.

in my farm tanks downstairs all 40g breeders i drilled 2 3/4 in holes right at the bottom of the rim, i should have gone down a bit lower, inside i built an acrylic box it was about 6in high 6 wide and 3 deep, this was silicon around the bulkheads, about 1 inch below the top of the tank so far it all works great, apon startup the top tanks get right up to over flowing before the full siphon kicks in, this would be solved by drilling the bulkheads down farther from the rim

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
fiddeled with hole placements this morning...took a big breath and started cutting!!

Got the inside weir box done, everything turned out perfect.
I have not glued it up yet, I think I want the thicker solvent vs. the water thin stuff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts