The Planted Tank Forum banner

461 - 480 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Planning to get a Beamswork DA FSPEC 60CM/24IN. Any suggestion for a good dimmer to go alon with this. Any Blueprint on how to get it working with a Dimmer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like my little light fine. I don't believe they had a plant specific spectrum when I bought mine so that's my only issue with it. Well, that and it's plastic so it doesn't sit quite flat, but I do think the glossy black plastic is attractive. Here is a picture of a 6 gallon tank I had, not at it's prime but a good example of what it could grow in a non CO2 nano. I have since changed the tank out for a similar 10 gallon which fits the light even better, and still seems to grow things fine, it will just take some time to look good, it is only about 2 weeks old. Anyway, here is the old 6 gallon. I also plan to add RGB strips to mine, I have them, just haven't had time to deal with it.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are RGB strips?

Bump:
I like my little light fine. I don't believe they had a plant specific spectrum when I bought mine so that's my only issue with it. Well, that and it's plastic so it doesn't sit quite flat, but I do think the glossy black plastic is attractive. Here is a picture of a 6 gallon tank I had, not at it's prime but a good example of what it could grow in a non CO2 nano. I have since changed the tank out for a similar 10 gallon which fits the light even better, and still seems to grow things fine, it will just take some time to look good, it is only about 2 weeks old. Anyway, here is the old 6 gallon. I also plan to add RGB strips to mine, I have them, just haven't had time to deal with it.

Please excuse my but what are RGB strips?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
RGB are Red/Green/Blue LED ribbons...
Each channel can be independenly controlled and some "stick" them between the Beamswork row for color enhancement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would co2 be needed with these lights? I was looking at the slim model for my fluval spec v. It's the Beamswork ET 6500K Timer 0.50W LED Aquarium Light[censored]on amazon. Going for a more low tech approach.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Did you end up getting the ET? I'm looking at that light for a new tank I'm setting up and curious on your thoughts...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello! I am looking to add a Beamswork in addition to my Finnex 24/7 se on a 40 breeder as well as a 20 long and am looking for medium light, after reading through this thread as well as others I am not sure which light to buy and was hoping to get some suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hello! I am looking to add a Beamswork in addition to my Finnex 24/7 se on a 40 breeder as well as a 20 long and am looking for medium light, after reading through this thread as well as others I am not sure which light to buy and was hoping to get some suggestions, thanks!
You are already at medium light with the single finnex 24/7. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...24-7-planted-par-lux-kelvin-pur-readings.html
A Single Beamswork DHL or DA FSPEC will puts you at high light on the 20L. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-fspec-dhl-6500k-par-lux-kelvin-pur-data.html Can get this dimmer to bring down to medium light easily. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FC04I8

·
Registered
20 Posts
Either one of the two I linked are good and very well priced.
I decided to add a pent Fspec to both aquariums which leds me to my next question do I need to use a ramp timer or can I use a regular timer if I have the beamswork lights set to turn on after my other lights that have built in sunrise/sunset functions?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I decided to add a pent Fspec to both aquariums which leds me to my next question do I need to use a ramp timer or can I use a regular timer if I have the beamswork lights set to turn on after my other lights that have built in sunrise/sunset functions?
depends on what you want specifically. For me I use the built in timer for my 24/7 which comes on at 6am for sunrise. Then at 8am I switch my 24/7 to full mode and also my Beamswork DHL comes on at full mode as I am running 50ppm co2 so I need the light. You could do something similar and have the 24/7 stay in 24/7 mode and have the beamswork come on at say 8am. If you want both to ramp you will need a ramp timer for the beamswork.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my lights! I ended up getting two 18" EA FSpec's to run perpendicular on my tank. These are really nice lights but I have one gripe... The power cord and the timer port are on separate ends. So I have wires coming off both the front and the back of the tank. It would have been nice if the port were on the same side as the power port.

But all in all, these are great lights for the price point!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the BeamsWork EA Timer FSPEC 30" on my 20 long and it's been great. Have it for a year now with no problems. I have it wired to Fluval timer with ramp and dim options (got one of the good ones I guess). Used 2 CCTV Y cables and a little soldering so I could have the siesta function with one light, and it's been working great. I had no problem growing low to mid light plants. Just ordered and received the BeamsWork DA 120 6500K 48" for my 55G.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Joining the club

I just got in my Beams work DA 120. This is supposed to be for planted tanks. I have a 75 gallon Amazon tetra tank. This replaces a 9 year old Zoomed T5 unit that never work fully as I could only get one side of the two to work. Yes, I tore that fixture down till it came to breaking metal and could do nothing with a that one side. So this past weekend I was at Lowe's bought a LED T5 bulb to put in old fixture. That lasted ten minutes before melt down. At that point I just went online and bought the Beamswork. OMG what a difference in the whole look. It looks so much clearer. Ofcourse t5 bulb was old and ready for a change but it's more than that even.

The old t5 was a warm light. This DA is daylight. It has 4 colors to it white, red,blue and green. One reason I bought it was because of 4 instead of 3 colors. It is Not a 24/7 as you turn it on and off. But it does have just a Moonlight setting. Plants in tank are various sword with pennywort and a fern. Hoping my swords grow better under this light. Fish look amazing and really pop. It's 5 inches wide and side 5 inches high off rim. Nice thing is I have room to add another LEd if I need too. Sure I will like electric savings too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
whats the difference between EA and DA besides DA got extra roll of lights? I see both series comes with 10,000k and 6500k. Lumens are higher on the DA series than the EA. I Also see beamsworks got another series called POWER LED. Whats the difference in this one?

461 - 480 of 498 Posts