The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beamswork Green Element EVO plant LED vs Beamswork Hi Lumen Planted Version

im currently using a dual T5HO fixture which is working wonders for me but having to buy T5 bulbs every year is costly compared to LED units.

i have been searching around and i found these two LED light units from Beamswork. They are both made for planted tanks but i dont know what the actual difference is.

does anyone know which one is better?
has anyone actually used these?
Will these provide more or same light as my T5 unit?

Beamswork Green Element EVO plant LED: [Ebay Link Removed]

Beamswork Hi Lumen Planted Version: LED Aquarium light 24" Hi Lumen Planted Version - Beamswork: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Beamswork Green Element EVO plant LED vs Beamswork Hi Lumen Planted Version

im currently using a dual T5HO fixture which is working wonders for me but having to buy T5 bulbs every year is costly compared to LED units.

i have been searching around and i found these two LED light units from Beamswork. They are both made for planted tanks but i dont know what the actual difference is.

does anyone know which one is better?
has anyone actually used these?
Will these provide more or same light as my T5 unit?

Beamswork Green Element EVO plant LED: [Ebay Link Removed]

Beamswork Hi Lumen Planted Version: LED Aquarium light 24" Hi Lumen Planted Version - Beamswork: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
What do you mean by "better"? I ask because there's more to it than just providing more light.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want to know which of the two will provide more light for my tank. They are both led lights for planted tanks but they aren't the same. Why?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Look for a thread started by "jeffkrol" pertaining to Beamswork success stories. Jeff is pretty much the Beamswork guru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Well I want to know which of the two will provide more light for my tank. They are both led lights for planted tanks but they aren't the same. Why?
Your question still isn't formulated correctly. Are you asking about photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) or lumens, etcetera?

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Beamsworks lists any model w/ 6500K emitters as "for planted tanks"
They have 3 "types" currently (fortunately the .2W ones have been "retired" though probably plenty in used channels)

.5W SMD emitters and "native" 120 degree optics , 1W w/ optics (90 degree approx), 3W w/ optics (90 degree approx.)

As to PAR , little data is available, As to larger, more but still slight..
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=415522
A "rule of thumb" is to use larger emitters (EVO type) for deeper tanks.
Smaller .5W for wider/shallow tanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the one of the ones here is the 3W type. Cause my tank is deep I was leaning a bit more towards it. Honestly I don't want high light. Really I just want medium light cause that's what I have now and my plants are fine.

The majority of my plants aren't picky when it come to light.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Well the one of the ones here is the 3W type. Cause my tank is deep I was leaning a bit more towards it. Honestly I don't want high light. Really I just want medium light cause that's what I have now and my plants are fine.

The majority of my plants aren't picky when it come to light.
most current models are listed here w/ enough specs to differentiate them:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-s/22.htm

No PAR data..
Depending on your tank even the new "Razor" might work. What are the dimensions??

Oh and w/ a bit of "DIY" they can be dimmed..

What are your current lights rated at??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not so bothered about dimming the light. Most of the higher light plants are at the back so the width of the unit isn't a concern either. Here is a picture of what I mean

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plants such as java fern and java moss and anubias (when is get some) are at the front of the tank, away from the light and have some shade.

At the back where the hygrophilas, rotalas and Najas (fast stem growing plants) have the light right on top of them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It also helps because I get brown algae growing on the back walls of the tank instead of the front walls. I will be getting some Ottos that's why I'm growing it.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
The 0.5w should be enough, even for a 58cm deep tank, for the plants you're growing.

The 3w EVO is excessive and requires hanging. Also, due to the gap between the lenses and the LEDs, leaks a lot of light inside the fixture. I absolutely recommend replacing them with the lenses with snap-on holders available on eBay to eliminate that leak and direct all of the light down into the tank.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To give you an idea, I have both the 0.5w PENT and the dual row 3W Beamsworks lights. At approximately 10" from the substrate, the 3W light puts me at the low end of PAR ratings. The PENT is about 20% lower, but appears to give a better spread.

Bump: Solcielo, can you give me more info. on these lenses? I would love to enhance the 3W fixture a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.