The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the middle of my diy strip light build I came across this: <$50
LED 30" 0.5W 6500K Freshwater Plant Bright LED by Beamworks 4th Generation
110 x 0.5w LEDs. I could not help myself.

I tested this unit on a kill-a-watt meter. It consumes 56w that includes the power supply. My 4 cfls ran consumed 90w.

I was originally going to gut it and replace the lights with my own. But after trying it I decided to keep it for a while and see what it can do. As always phone pics don't get across what is actually there.

Build quality is good. I might be mad if I paid $200 but for $50 I can live happily with it. Small cosmetic scratches on the black led board is all I can complain about. Some of them have been colored in with what looks like marker. I still like it.

6500K seems fair. Comparing it to the a 5000K and 6500K CFL reveals that it is cooler than 5000K cfl and I can't tell if it is warmer or cooler than the 6500K cfl.

Light intensity seems slightly better than the 4 x 23w cfls. The plants do not seem to mind the new light. They still pearl slightly with the leds. I had 2x5000K and 2x6500K cfls on my tank before this light. Beta and black neon look much better now.

More good news. The leds are mounted on a metal pcb board. This was one of my main concerns as I thought it would be the standard pcb board material. The metal pcb board has direct contact with heat sink. It could be better but it's not getting hot. So that makes it good enough.

The night light is too bright. Way to bright IMO. It has 16 leds on(8w) with the night setting. I will need to customize this as I like it really dim at night. But I'm waiting on parts from Hong Kong.

Overall I have been happy for the 6 hours I have had it on. And if I can build a fully programmable led system for <$100 I will be even happier.

There should be enough room between the led rows to add some rgb strip lights. Or I could remove the night circuit and, or... Or......OR The layout of the pcb makes adding to the board easy for A DIY'er who loves to tinker. And if you do love to tinker this unit runs off of 15V. It has 4 leds in series chains and a resistor.

One of the parts I ordered off of the bay is a 5 channel fully programmable led controller. I plan on using this with some RGB lights for color control, sunrise, sunset, clouds, moon etc.. If anyone has experience with these please chime in.

Hope this help.
Pictures coming soon as I can't upload right now. 馃槫. I also don't want to accidentally delete this ... so I'm posting now.

Banned
Ive been interested in upgrading my shrimp rack lights to some of there LED but there so many different ones lol.

Which fixture exactly is this one? I get so confused looking through all there different models.

What plants to you grow in this tank???

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LED 30" 0.5W 6500K Freshwater Plant Bright LED by Beamworks 4th Generation
110 x 0.5w LEDs.

4 horizontal 23w CfLs

Beamswork 110x0.5w LED

This shows my previous hood. It has 2 x 5000k and 2 x 6500k cfls.

Adjusted camera so you could see the lights

Night lights

Registered
Are you saying you want to stick some flex strip directly on that fixture? I have been thinking about doing this, but with finnex planted+ along with flex strip current-usa LED+ freshwater.
I was considering the beamworks too tho but opted for more colors with finnex... I haven't bought any fixture yet as I am concerned the strips might peel off because of heat or whatever...
hmm

Registered
I am a huge fan of Beamswork LED's. A few months ago I upgraded my 40 breeder to 2 of the .5w 6500k units and couldn't be happier. About a month or so ago I replaced 3 13watt CFL brooder lamps on my 20 long with a 30" .5w 6500k Beamswork also very happy with the results so far.

You must have a different model than I have though, pretty sure all three of my BW fixtures have just 3 long rows of LEDs. They work great, and very cost effective. I don't use the "night lighting" for all night but I switch mine to low light mode at night so when they come on in the morning (before sunrise) the fish don't get blasted with light.

Registered
While we're on the beamswork topic...anyone use their RGB pink light fixture? I'm quite interested in it but I want to see a pic of it in use first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you saying you want to stick some flex strip directly on that fixture? I have been thinking about doing this, but with finnex planted+ along with flex strip current-usa LED+ freshwater.
I was considering the beamworks too tho but opted for more colors with finnex... I haven't bought any fixture yet as I am concerned the strips might peel off because of heat or whatever...
hmm
Yes, I am going to try that. I'll post the results if/when my package makes across the ocean.

On a side note. I am a little worried that the adhesive on the light strips might pull off the black protective coating on the board if I decide to take them off. I'm trying to think of a way to minimize this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It works. Better than my 4 cfls. Even when the cfls were new I did not see the kind of pearling I see now.

The dwarf sag. in this picture is rooted 18" below the water line, which is 1" below the light. And the dwarf sag. is 3-4" tall. There is a barrage of pearls coming out once they get going.

I have ordered a variety of plants and hope that shed some light on the PAR of this unit.

Registered
Could you post a pic of the fixture showing where you placed the led strip. I'm very interested in this. Also, what kind of led strip did you use?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could you post a pic of the fixture showing where you placed the led strip. I'm very interested in this. Also, what kind of led strip did you use?
The light in the posts above is only the Beamswork. I have not added the additional strips yet. They are in transit from China. The RGBs I plan to use are the 5050 strips. I also ordered a strip of 5630 cool whites.

Things I don't know:
If it will get "too" hot with the additional leds.
If the 5050 RGBs have enough power to make a difference.
And a bunch of other stuff...

Registered
Ahhhh ok. I thought you already added on the strips. Are these the strips on evilbay I keep seeing? I'm so torn between the 50/50, 5630, and 3528. I'm curious to see how you make out with the leds you ordered.

Banned
Does Beamswork have a website? where can I find what they make? I've only seen them on evilbay and amazon. I have two of the 300 lumen 18 inch lights and I really like them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Does Beamswork have a website? where can I find what they make? I've only seen them on evilbay and amazon. I have two of the 300 lumen 18 inch lights and I really like them.
They kind of have a site. If you look in the description of one of their evilbay listings you will be able to look through their "site" if you scroll down far enough.

EDIT!!!

Don't listen to me!!! This is how to get to the e sellers "site"...

Beamswork has there own site. It's a few posts away..

Registered
I just got one of my LED+ freshwater flex strip from ebay and I think I may understand why they call it evilbay.. the strip is making a horrid high freq noise on certain settings... is that normal?
you know, it's one of those high pitch noise only certain people and dogs apparently can hear? Well I can hear it and it's unbearable.

I tryed other normal dx.com LED strips and none make noise like that!

Registered
I have a 36 inch beamworks 3rd gen at 7800 lumen, the driver went bad within 3 weeks, the seller replaced it with a green element driver which works much better, but yeah I found out quickly without co2 this is not the light to use and not have BBA, well I could only run it for 8 hours and only 2 hours on the high setting. so yeah I have a nice 3 inch light thats is bright as hell and no home for it........unless I decide to go hi-tech co2 tank

Registered

Yes they do! Look up aquatraders on google and click their website then click LED on the left side of the page.

Registered
TopDogSellers agreed to my offer on E---bay and I finally have two of these 30" 110x0.5w fixtures on the way. Trying to cut down on my T5HO wattage. 112w replacing 192w.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts