The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gents, I have dabbled with high tech tanks and low tech tanks and finally decided to set up a "show tank" for our living room at our new condo!

Two days ago we began our 12 gallon long journey!
This is going to be a very simple high tech tank using plants that are hardy, and somewhat beautiful (so that when I'm away my girlfriend can easily take care of them)
celestial pearl danios, and red cherry shrimp will be the center piece!

Equipment:
Tank: Aquatop 12gal long

Filter: Eheim 2213/Viv Aqua glass outflow

CO2: Diy paintball Co2/Cheap disc Co2 diffuser(I bought the wrong reactor for the hose size I have and will be using a reactor once i receive it)

Lighting: Fluval Fresh and plant 2.0(unsure if this will be permanent)

Substrate: Fluval shrimp stratum capped with black Flourite sand

Flora:
Pearl weed carpet

Java Fern bush entwined with driftwood

(possibly Blyxa Japonica)

Fauna:
large school of Celestial Pearl Danio's

as many Cherry red shrimp as possible

a few otto's

I used a solid wood "Hemnes secretary add on unit" form ikea for the cabinet part of the stand, then I used cedar 2x4's with pocket hole joinery for the top,
I burned the wood with a propane torch to bring out the grain of the wood, and to darken it a bit to go along with our dark furniture

here is a very brief picture summary of the stand

I joined these cedar 2x4's with a kreg pocket hole jig from Kreg tools, I used the R3 model

here it is solid jointed together

before I mounted it to the stand I used a small bernzomatic propane torch to burn the surface lightly, then used helmsman satin finish urethane to seal it

the equipment in the cabinet

The Tank!

I used osmocote + under the substrate to help with fertilization to minimize dosing

the initial hardscape with the fluval shrimp stratum

final hardscape with flourite cap

pearl grass and java fern in place

flooded and cloudy, it cleared up overnight but I have forgotten to take a picture since it has cleared up, I will do so probably tonight when I get home from work, the lights are REALLY bright, my living room lights were on and you can't even tell!

and... here is my 5.5 CPD and RCS low tech bathroom tank

hope you enjoy! and any tips/advice would be appreciated
-Brandon

·
Registered
668 Posts
The lighting seems extremely focused on one point which I feel is taking away from the complete scape.
Don't take it wrong I like your tank but I feel you may need a better fitting light hung above the tank.
This is a great tank! Excited to see it progress.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lighting seems extremely focused on one point which I feel is taking away from the complete scape.
Don't take it wrong I like your tank but I feel you may need a better fitting light hung above the tank.
This is a great tank! Excited to see it progress.
The current lighting is temporary, I plan on using led pendants above the tank using lower wattage on the left end so the light goes from dim to high light

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not at all I completely agree, I'm actually thinking now of using a 36" led but would I end up with a Java fern covered in algae?
I have java fern in the same place as you do in my own 12 gallon long. I use a fennix 24/7 36" (with the programmed time period), and i get great, healthy leaves on it. also, my other carpeting plants are doing well, same goes for plants like ludwigia repens and water wisteria. i inject Co2 as well.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Agreed I don't think there's any reason why you would get algae on the java, as long as everything is stable then everything should be fine. Regardless, if the java was never lit up you'll never know and really this is all about learning and seeing what works.
I say go for it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have java fern in the same place as you do in my own 12 gallon long. I use a fennix 24/7 36" (with the programmed time period), and i get great, healthy leaves on it. also, my other carpeting plants are doing well, same goes for plants like ludwigia repens and water wisteria. i inject Co2 as well.
I'm really hoping that with high light on the Java fern it will grow more compact is that the most likely result of high light on Java fern? It's my first time growing Java so I'm clueless

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm really hoping that with high light on the Java fern it will grow more compact is that the most likely result of high light on Java fern? It's my first time growing Java so I'm clueless
Mine is maybe 3/4ths to the top of the tank? and thats with very little pruning (once, maybe?) over around 18 months. easy plant to grow and keep green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.