The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of dosing excel with syringe directly on the BBA algae and it will die off. Could I simply remove the wood and use a clean new cloth with some excel on it and wipe it down? As for the anubias leaves will I have to do the underwater method as the direct excel might damage them? Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences would greatly help.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've heard of dosing excel with syringe directly on the BBA algae and it will die off. Could I simply remove the wood and use a clean new cloth with some excel on it and wipe it down? As for the anubias leaves will I have to do the underwater method as the direct excel might damage them? Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences would greatly help.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, if you are just trying to remove it from wood, take the wood out and soak it in H2O2 then wipe it down, soak it again and then let it set out for a couple days.

H2O2 is way cheaper than Excel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong, if you are just trying to remove it from wood, take the wood out and soak it in H2O2 then wipe it down, soak it again and then let it set out for a couple days.

H2O2 is way cheaper than Excel.
Thanks for the advice. I can't keep the wood out of water for a few days as it has a years worth of anubias grown on it and I don't want to take the plants off. I can take the wood out of the tank so thats were the thoughts of rubbing excel on it came from.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I can't keep the wood out of water for a few days as it has a years worth of anubias grown on it and I don't want to take the plants off. I can take the wood out of the tank so thats were the thoughts of rubbing excel on it came from.
If you can at least take it out of the tank, you can use H2O2 instead of excel, just spray it on or carefully get it on just the wood, although I do not think it would hurt your plants. Let it sit or soak for 30 mins and then repeat. It should come off easily after.

I did this to my driftwood and it worked wonders, although like you I could leave it out for long. More algae came back but it is no longer covered in straight black like it was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts