The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
A week ago my 130 liter (34.4 gallon) low tech Tropiquarium 88 community tank with 10 plants, an undergravel filter and a submersible Fluval, and a full load of mostly tetras, with a plecostomus and a corydoras, had become infested with BBA all over the gravel and starting to coat the petrified wood decor and some of the plants. I change 5 or 10 gallons a week treated with Prime and Flourish. I started carefully dosing with Flourish Excel, but I didn’t want to rely only on chemicals, so after some further research I got some livestock: 3 Dalmatian mollies, 3 nerite snails, 3 amano shrimp, and 3 red cherry shrimps. The shrimps disappeared and are so small that they didn’t seem to have much effect. I didn’t see any of them for a week until I saw one amano briefly yesterday. But the mollies were working very hard with visible results, and the nerites were doing a number on the hard surfaces, so the very next day I got 3 more of each. Now after a week the BBA is almost all gone, like 90% gone, and every day there is less of it. My plants are green again, and their fur coats are almost completely gone. The decor and gravel are so clean that poor pleco no longer trails a long string all the time (but the mollies do). I haven’t had to clean the ‘windows’ all week. I haven’t used Excel the last 3 or 4 days. I’m convinced the mollies and nerites have just about finished solving my BBA problem and will keep it under control.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top