The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, this got a big start before I started trying to figure out what it was. I did a 50% water change, put Excel on my Nano Anubias, cut off all the affected leaves on my Wisteria and soaked the bacopa in a peroxide & water bath. I just pulled the Dwarf Sagittaria out.

It is also on my Java ferns. Do I completely cut leaves or trim off the edges?

It is also growing on the shell of one of my mystery snails. I tried scrubbing it off, but it is coming back right away.

So far, it doesn't seem to be on my Crypts or the Ozelot sword.

I have been reading a lot on the internet. I have been using Excel, but I believe I have not been using enough. I also realize I should have been dosing with fertilizer such as Seachem Flourish.

Do you recommend totally starting over with plants after getting rid of the BBA, or is it possible to get rid of the BBA and save the plants?

·
Banned
628 Posts
The Algae FAQ says BBA is caused by Macro fertilizers being out of their zone or pH being too low. Your well water's 7.5 pH from another thread seems reasonable to me so maybe it's excess nutrients. I have had runaway Nitrate several times but never got BBA. Given that, maybe it would be worth it to reassess your Phosphate. Test it and see. Also I think your right about it being bad to not dose the micros. At this point, I would consider replacing the worst affected plants and moving forward with a more robust maintenance routine.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My rule of thumb with java fern and bba is if it's affecting more than a third of the leaf get rid of the leaf, if not than cut off the affected part. I have a perpetual case of bba from a piece of driftwood that is rotting. It throws my balance off quite badly, maybe this is happening to you too?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Algae FAQ says BBA is caused by Macro fertilizers being out of their zone or pH being too low. Your well water's 7.5 pH from another thread seems reasonable to me so maybe it's excess nutrients. I have had runaway Nitrate several times but never got BBA. Given that, maybe it would be worth it to reassess your Phosphate. Test it and see. Also I think your right about it being bad to not dose the micros. At this point, I would consider replacing the worst affected plants and moving forward with a more robust maintenance routine.
Thank you. The Java Fern was a real mess. I cut all the big nasty looking leaves off. There are a bunch of small new healthy looking leaves that I left and also stuck some of the babies into the substrate that I pulled off the large leaves that I cut off. I put some fertilizer tabs down into the substrate and also ordered some Seachem Flourish. My nitrates are only about 20. I do regular water changes and even did an extra after cutting the Java Fern. I have also cut the lights for the last 4 days.

My rule of thumb with java fern and bba is if it's affecting more than a third of the leaf get rid of the leaf, if not than cut off the affected part. I have a perpetual case of bba from a piece of driftwood that is rotting. It throws my balance off quite badly, maybe this is happening to you too?
Thanks, but no rotting drift wood here.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Thank you. The Java Fern was a real mess. I cut all the big nasty looking leaves off. There are a bunch of small new healthy looking leaves that I left and also stuck some of the babies into the substrate that I pulled off the large leaves that I cut off. I put some fertilizer tabs down into the substrate and also ordered some Seachem Flourish. My nitrates are only about 20. I do regular water changes and even did an extra after cutting the Java Fern. I have also cut the lights for the last 4 days.
Amano said Java Fern like to be pruned. I just pruned mine a couple months ago. I think it helped. It doesn't look as crowded anymore. I think you did a good thing by pruning it. The new growth will probably be BBA resistant. The Flourish will probably help too. Your Nitrate is reasonable. I have never had too much Phosphate even when I don't test for it. It is somehow always in the zone. How's your Phosphate? Any chance it could be over 10 ppm?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amano said Java Fern like to be pruned. I just pruned mine a couple months ago. I think it helped. It doesn't look as crowded anymore. I think you did a good thing by pruning it. The new growth will probably be BBA resistant. The Flourish will probably help too. Your Nitrate is reasonable. I have never had too much Phosphate even when I don't test for it. It is somehow always in the zone. How's your Phosphate? Any chance it could be over 10 ppm?
I don't have a test kit for phosphate, so I don't know what the level is.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I don't have a test kit for phosphate, so I don't know what the level is.
Well, I'm sure it's not that bad. My Phosphate is always in the zone everytime I check it. It's kind of uncanny since I don't do much to monitor it. No, what I think this really is, is that the plants are unhappy about something and the BBA is taking advantage of them. The algae FAQ said it could be excess nutrients, but I'm not so sure about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.