The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you ever get bba on a nice piece of wood what is an effective method of totally eradicating it?

Last tear down I scrubbed down one of my older pieces with a stiff cleaning brush. Scrubbed out some soft spots till it looked like new.

It's my own fault I left the CO2 off for a couple of days and it's back.

It would be nice to shelve it for a time dry, but how long can this stuff stay dormant?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can soak the wood in a solution of Flourish excel, or use the 20:1 water to bleach method on it, then scrub it with a toothbrush, and rinse it very well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just scrub it off?
what's the big aversion to BBA? It's not harmful to anything.
Spreading to adjacent plants for one. It is to my blood pressure. :angryfire

Kidding of course.

Bleach may be a little harsh on wood and the chance of not removing it all soaking it worries me.

The magic juice Excel is tempting but I tend not to have so much time to be spot dosing. Whole tank treatments turned into a crutch for me. Once I stopped it always came back. I've bee trying to pump in more CO2 but my reactor ain't taking it well.

I may try a hydrogen peroxide bath followed by a nice hot summer of exposure.... Just on this one piece as an experiment.
Probably still a little on the harsh side.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
For me, I think every single peice of wood I've used in the aquarium has ended up with BBA on it. I just let it do it's thing, just try to keep the co2 up.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've scrubbed the living daylights out of my driftwood a bazillion times in the past. I still get BBA on it years later. Not on anything else, either. I've turned my CO2 up so high I've almost killed my fish, no change in the BBA. I just chalk it up to being part of the idiosyncrasies of my tank.

Tommy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.