The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the relation between BBA and flow?I have some Vals leaves that are in front of the outflow pipe ,,and BBA seems to settle on those parts that are constantly being blown upon.Does it have anything to do with algae spores or something?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok ,this may be a crazy theory but ,could it be because the constantly blown leaves are going in and out of the water ,a little bit each time?(flow is pretty strong)
The only part of the leaf affected is the part which lays almost flat on the surface ,the flow is strong ,and it sinks and releases the leaf constantly.Now it's in the water ,now it's not.
All the other leaves ,which either have or have not reached the surface ,and are not in the strong current ,are fine.

BBA is known to thrive in CO2 fluctuations ,so ,for the leaf ,now it has more(when above water) ,the next second ,it has less(sunken).
Am I making any sense?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
In my experience BBA grows where ever it wants. I see bits of it in high flow and low flow areas as well as High light and low light areas. I do notice it more on the leaves of slower growing plants or older dying lower leaves of fast growing plants.

oh yea you bring up a good point, the only time I really a lot of bba is on my slowest growing plants, but then thats why I dont mind it as I can manually remove it by just plucking the leaft off or scraping it off the leave if its on my anubias

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.