The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From everything I've read, this stuff is more common in newly established tanks due to high silicates. My tank has been running for over a year and I still can't get rid of it. This makes me think that my tap water is the problem but how do I fix it? Is is best to have a phosphate/silicate remover in my canester filter? should I get a nerite and otto cleaning crew? I've seen several threads from people having the same issue but no one has come up with a solution. If someone has had success battling this stuff please let me know how because I am tired of my tank looking like pond scum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same thing in my tank. I am new to the hobby. Had to have the EDGE when I saw it. I did swap the lights out for LEDs as was suggested here.

What I have noticed is the only place I have the brown algea is directly under the lights. You can even see in the photo where one leaf shades the other there is a line where the algea starts to grow.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
Otocinclus love brown algae by the way. :)
True, but these are also very sensitive fish to tank transfers and water conditions. I only recommend them to folks that I know are experienced with more sensitive fishies.

I bought 10 oto's earlier this week. Checked the LFS' stock, and all seemed healthy. 2 hours of drip acclimation, 1 drop per second, double checked pH and temp to make sure the water parameter on the bucket has matched that of the tank. 1 died about 4 hours after the transfer. 2 didn't look too good after the transfer, but now seem to be doing well in the hospital tank.

·
Registered
993 Posts
maybe you guys will not believe me i had an otocinclus in my tank...he ate/damaged all my valisneria...
hmm first time I've heard about otocinclus eating live plants. Maybe he was eating the diatoms on the leaves, but the diatoms has already caused damaged to the leaves underneath.
I know diatoms wrecks the fine leaves of my myrio's. If I have seen my otos eating the diatoms there, I can also mistake my otos for eating the plant....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.