The Planted Tank Forum banner

Basic solenoid to control air flow

512 3
I need recommendations on a basic solenoid that I could use to control an air line. I have a closed loop PVC air system hooked up to an air pump - which gives me air 24x7. However, in one of my tanks, I only want to run the air conditionally. I have an Apex controller available, and I plan to use it to monitor and start and stop the air as desired (either time or maybe temperature based, etc). So, I just need a solenoid to block the flow of air on that line until the conditions are met. Do I need to look at the ones folks are using for CO2 setups, or are there more inexpensive ones that would do what I need? I could just get an air pump and let the Apex control that, but it seemed silly with the existing closed loop system right there and a nozzle tap with air just waiting.

Thanks!
Chad
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
12,174 Posts
From the PVC closed loop, you'll need to convert it to a fitting that matches the solenoid opening. You'd just want to use a normally closed solenoid; the ones that are used for CO2 will work fine, but are probably a bit overkill, since I doubt you will ever reach the same pressures as CO2.

You might be able to find a cheaper solenoid that has a lower maximum pressure rating (which would work just fine for air).

·
Registered
242 Posts
From the PVC closed loop, you'll need to convert it to a fitting that matches the solenoid opening. You'd just want to use a normally closed solenoid; the ones that are used for CO2 will work fine, but are probably a bit overkill, since I doubt you will ever reach the same pressures as CO2.

You might be able to find a cheaper solenoid that has a lower maximum pressure rating (which would work just fine for air).
Ditto. I would be careful placing a CO2 solenoid in service. Solenoids for pressurized gas require several PSI as a minimum operating pressure to force flow through the solenoid plunger or diaphgram. A paddle or gate valve works at any pressure - search for motorized gate valve on EB and you should find ones in the $25-30 range for a 1/2in size. I assume your PVC pipes are in this range. These are also great for controlling water flow by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.