The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
A lot of people suggest barley for tanks and ponds with green water phenomenon.:smile:

Let me know if you want to read an article about barley straws written by one member in the other forum known as The Pond Digger. I can't simply just try to post the links here and there just to help others.:smile: I would hate myself for doing it over and over.:smile:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know much about it other than that when it breaks down it has algacidal(sp) properties.

I don't think there's anything wrong with crosslinking to other sites...if you're willing...I presume you're talking about this one:

http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337

Sounds like we'd be adding peroxide and organic matter to our tanks....I can't think the organic matter would be good but maybe the peroxide offsets it...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know much about it other than that when it breaks down it has algacidal(sp) properties.

I don't think there's anything wrong with crosslinking to other sites...if you're willing...I presume you're talking about this one:

http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337

Sounds like we'd be adding peroxide and organic matter to our tanks....I can't think the organic matter would be good but maybe the peroxide offsets it...
You got it.:smile: I was going to refer you to the fifth post made by Eric.:smile:

Good luck with the use of barley if ever you'll use it.:proud: Eric has been suggesting the use of barley against green water.:smile:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Whichever works for you is fine.:smile: If you have UV sterilizer, why not use it?:smile: No sense wasting it by not using it at all.:icon_mrgr The disadvantage is not all green algae might be eliminated as the algae must passed the UV rays to be eliminated.:smile:

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Has anyone here tried barley straw in their canister? It seems like a natural...
My brother tried barley straw in his Koi pond for the two previous summers and it really didn't help with his green water very much.

This summer I bought him a nice UV sterlizer and it fixed his green water problem. He really likes it. It has a wiper on it so you don't have to clean it often. This is the one that I got him: Aquarium | UV Sterilizers | 15W Classic UV Steril. w/Wiper - AU0008 - ThatPetPlace.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use barley straw in my 1000gallon pond. It made a huge difference. I start to use when water gets to about 55 degrees and replenish monthly throughout the summer. It doesn't start to work until it begins to break down, so it is not immediate. A week or more is required to see a difference. Water is now crystal clear year round.

Previous year, just used UV and it was acceptable. With barley + UV, water is very clear, with a slight tea type tinge to it from tannins.

I put it in my bio-falls, so it is not in sunlight, but in the water flow. I would assume that it would be okay in canister due to same condition (dark and water flow). Highly recommend putting it in a media bag to contain the debris though.

Awesome, natural method to control algae. It definately works - at least in my pond.

Ted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.