The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some spare plant stems Id like out of my tank (they have grown and are too bushy to see the hardscape-need a bigger tank!). I dont want to get rid of them because Im already planning my future tank.

So If I took them out and got a little plastic tank for them, what would I need equipment wise. Mainly, would I need to get a filter? Or is there anything else that I can get which just circulates the water? I dont mind doing regular water changes.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
No filter needed, but something for circulation would be good. Top off with water from the display tank to introduce nutrients. Some kind of light to keep them growing. If the water is 60+ without a heater you're good.

I've also had plants do just fine in a bucket short term. Or if something hardy like anubias months in a dark tank

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You could reduce the water change schedule for your display tank, thereby saving time and preventing water waste (go green!), if you set up your spare plant tank as a sump. All you have to do is install a water pump to transfer water from your display to your spare plants and back.

You wouldn't have to worry about fertilizing your spare plants, and flow would be more than adequate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had more space I would love to set up a sump but we are very limited where we are right now- the tank is on the long kitchen unit and so there isnt anywhere to put a sump really. Cant wait till we have our own place and then I can get a proper cabinet made up for a tank and make it how I want. Right now im not actually dosing any ferts and the plants are flourishing, but I used some kind of mineral rich substrate underneath my soil so maybe that is helping them.

But sump idea is a great idea when I get more space :D so many ideas forming, im bursting at the seams to get another tank already, damn the addictive nature of this hobby!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Doesn't matter if you're dosing or not - your fish are fert factories! If you have room for a spare tank plant, surely you have room for that same tank + a water pump, i.e. a sump. Or is it a matter of having room near your display tank to put this spare tank plant? I suppose you don't want hoses running through your house.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe put a little substrate in a container and grow them emersed under a light? Almost like the 'dry start method'. Can't be easier than that!

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Throw some top soil in a tub, tank whatever. Add the plants to the substrate. Fill it with water. You don't need anything but light. I've got a bunch of tanks just like that. I had a 29 on the back porch (screened) with no light but what came through the screen from the sun and the plants and fish thrived. No pumps, airstone, nothing. Dirt, water, fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.