The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi would anybody be able to provide me with some info on barbs
I would like to set up a mixed barb tank can anybody give me any ideas on sizes water flow tem etc I have looked it up on the net but alot of the info is conflicting so would appreciate some info from people with the know how many thanks

also the tank size is 18x10x10 inches and am looking for providing them with rocky aquascape is this possible:help::help:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll echo that^^^sentiment.

Ten gallons is far too small for Barbs, even the smaller one grow to over an inch long, plus they need a lot of free space to swim in.

I have a 175 gal that's six feet long and my Barbs use it all.

They're a great fish, very entertaining when they get amourous, but you're going to have to stick with guppies or Killies I'm afraid.

Rick

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, while most barbs do quickly get too big for a tank the size of yours, there are many that are good choices even for smaller tanks like the size of yours. The ones that mistergreen mentions are the first to come to mind but you could also consider Barbus (Puntius) pentazona and B. rhomboocellatus. There are even more that would be all right but if you get a pair of some and even trio of some of the other ones that have been mentioned, that's all you should include to avoid overcrowding your tank. Also, be sure to use very ample filtration and have adequate aeration for your barbs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
To each their own but I wouldn't keep those (they both reach 2") in what adds up to a 7 gal. tank. A typical 10gal. tank is 20 in. long and I don't keep anything but very small fish, shrimp, or a betta in a tank that size, just not enough room to swim! Most barbs should be in schools of at least 6-10 and that's also not possible in a tank that size. Here's a good list of species and info.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Puntius&species=pentazona&id=170

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had 12 barbs in a 10 gallon tank for a few months now, and they're doing fine. I have cherry and gold barbs, BTW... None of them have died since I've bought them, no sickness, etc, and they're doing great!

·
Registered
405 Posts
The important thing to do when you keep a high number of even small fish in a small tank is to be sure that there's good water quality and aeration. good filtration, requent water changes and an air-stone really make chanced of success much greater.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've had 12 barbs in a 10 gallon tank for a few months now, and they're doing fine. I have cherry and gold barbs, BTW... None of them have died since I've bought them, no sickness, etc, and they're doing great!
I hope you're doing daily 50% water changes now, because that tank is hopelessly overstocked, especially after the barbs grow out.

My adult Tiger barbs were closer to 3" than 2"... and I kept a school of 8 in my 46gal, which I found to be a decent # for that size tank. 10 probably would have worked too, if I'd had fewer of my other fish (I had 2 angels and an RTBS in there as well).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts