The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i get a Bonsai tree, similar to the one a guy was selling in the for sale section. But his is expensive. What do i search for when trying to get it.

I do not really want one made up of a bunch of twigs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was trying to find out the same thing think they would look cool in my ten gallon tanks.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
I bought two from him. He said he brought them back from Thailand. I don't think they're available in this country or online which is probably why they're so expensive. He said they're handmade from driftwood and bonsai trees.
Some of the contestants in the international aquascaping contests use them. I'll post photos of them once I get moss in their branches.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You can find "bonsai trees" just about anywhere, even some grocery/outlet stores. It isn't really a type of plant...it is the practice/art of how you keep it. You could literally go into your back yard and take a cutting or sapling (not all species are suited necessarily) and grow it in a small container and meticulously trim and shape it and call it a bonsai.

The expensive ones are likely special species or types and may already be many years old with a lot of work put into keeping and maintaining it.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
You can find "bonsai trees" just about anywhere, even some grocery/outlet stores. It isn't really a type of plant...it is the practice/art of how you keep it. You could literally go into your back yard and take a cutting or sapling (not all species are suited necessarily) and grow it in a small container and meticulously trim and shape it and call it a bonsai.

The expensive ones are likely special species or types and may already be many years old with a lot of work put into keeping and maintaining it.
I believe we're talking about the driftwood type of bonsai trees used for aquascaping using aquatic moss to mimic terrestrial trees.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Here's the two trees I bought. The larger one on the left I've got partially done in Vesicularia ferriei (weeping moss) and the smaller on the right I just finished placing Fissidens fontanus on a couple of hours ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
you will not find that type of trees over here in the US unless you import it over from Asia. They are all handmade from different type of wood to get it looking like a mini tree. They are quite expensive already in Asia plus you have to ship it over from over seas so thats why the price are what they are.

Where can i get a Bonsai tree, similar to the one a guy was selling in the for sale section. But his is expensive. What do i search for when trying to get it.

I do not really want one made up of a bunch of twigs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here's what I've got so far. The scape in my tank is new as well, as I just did a complete tank tear down a couple of week ago so it's a work in progress.
Cool looking tank, when they grow in they are going to be really neat. I think that the rocks may be too large, they take away from the trees and mess with the scale of things. The roots make a nice cave for your apisto I see. I'd say we have similar taste in plants. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see:
-Crinum Calimistratum
-Vesuvius (Echinodorus angustifolia)
-Aponogeton Ulvaceus?

I have the same plants in my new apisto setup. My Crinum is not adapting all that well. The bulb of my plant is so large it was sticking out of the substrate too far. I added more aqua soil over the bulb today hopefully that helps. It keeps giving off big bubbles that smell terrible. How does it grow for you, initially?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I would suggest really working on growing the moss VERY well.

then once it attaches after 3-4 weeks, then keep them very well trimmed to the bone, the moss will grow back easily.

You will end up with a lot of moss everywhere, so siphon it up after the trim and do a water change.

Like an overgrown bonsai, the trees will look poor if you do not do this.
I would keep the layout simple and focus more on the tree.

They are actually VERY cheap versus the cost of a bonsai tree, say an easy one like a live Chinese elm etc, you'd be looking at 500-2000$ for similar or a maple etc.

So it's a great deal.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Cool looking tank, when they grow in they are going to be really neat. I think that the rocks may be too large, they take away from the trees and mess with the scale of things. The roots make a nice cave for your apisto I see. I'd say we have similar taste in plants. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see:
-Crinum Calimistratum
-Vesuvius (Echinodorus angustifolia)
-Aponogeton Ulvaceus?

I have the same plants in my new apisto setup. My Crinum is not adapting all that well. The bulb of my plant is so large it was sticking out of the substrate too far. I added more aqua soil over the bulb today hopefully that helps. It keeps giving off big bubbles that smell terrible. How does it grow for you, initially?
Thanks, yes the first two plants you are correct but the last is Aponogeton madagascariensis. I hope the Crinum makes it. When I did my tank tear down I discovered the Aponogeton had split into two bulbs and the Crinum had split into three plants. I sold the duplicate plants locally as they were large and shipping would have been an issue possibly. I've got some browning of the tips of the Crinum's leaves but I'm now starting to get some new growth so I think it's just transplant shock.
I have MTS capped with Activ-Flora which is several inches deep to accommodate these larger plants.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Updates to Tree

Here's my latest on the larger tree with some Vesicularia ferriei (true weeping moss) trained to its branches. The new scape is still a work in progress. I'm still adding new fish and plants. My German Blue Rams mated and laid eggs! I was wondering why the male ram was nipping at my arm constantly while I was removing some hair algae. I've got some Amanos on the way and hopefully some Flag Fish soon to eat this up before it gets too out of hand.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts