The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a banana plant that has shot up surface leaves. I have had two of the surface leaves start to rot. My tank is dirted and I add some dry nitrate, and phosphate, and Seachem flourish for trace minerals. I have a glass lid on the tank and the 3 T5NO lights sit on top of the glass. Could I have too much light at the surface or could the glass tops be trapping too much moisture. What is making my lilly pads rot like this?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Take the top off and let them get some air. Also it could too hot underneath with glass on top.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stem completely rotted off the lilly pad part over the weekend so I cut the leaf off. So those with lilly pads and open top aquariums do you just keep fish that do not jump or take the gamble. I have only guppies right now in the tank but I would still hate to see one dried up on the floor one morning.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The stem completely rotted off the lilly pad part over the weekend so I cut the leaf off. So those with lilly pads and open top aquariums do you just keep fish that do not jump or take the gamble. I have only guppies right now in the tank but I would still hate to see one dried up on the floor one morning.

you could have re-planted that pad, and it would grown you a new plant.

was that leaf on the plant when you bought it? if it was there is a good chance that the new leaves will be just fine with the light where it is.

as far as the guppies you can drop the water level a little, and go topless without losing anything,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. As for replanting the pad, to get a new plant, the lilly pad rotted off the long stem at the base of the pad so there was no way to re-plant. I may try to lower the water level and go with out the glass lid. I really enjoy the lilly pads and hope to get flowers eventually.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I had a 20 gallon with guppies and never lost one. I dont think they jump at all. Guppies are my favorite fish of all. Small, hardy, and colorful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts