The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought 10 shrimp a couple of weeks ago (looks similar to amano but sold as hardier) and have I read that they can be ninjas and I occasionally see one or two, planted tank 135gal with driftwood- just thought I would see more of them. The only fish I currently have that I think could pick them off is a Banjo about 3.5-4in long which I specifically target to feed at night- it's a cool fish when it comes out...but watching it suck down a pellet makes me wonder. Do have a Betta that I haven't seen show much interest, dwarf crawfish that zips around, haven't seen any wreckage either. I know the size of the tank could swallow up dozens- but for the price of the shrimp I need to know if there is an issue before purchasing more.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would think either the betta or the crawfish to be much more likely to eat shrimps than the banjo, however anything is possible. I think it unlikely that any of them could catch and eat an adult shrimp. More likely is that you just don't see the shrimp. 10 of them would disappear in a planted 10 gallon tank and you have much more room and places to hide. I would bet they are probably still in there and I wouldn't think it to be a problem to add more, other than seeing them. You could probably put 100 in a tank that big and have trouble finding some to look at.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would tend to agree- never kept shrimp before and the ones I am seeing look good. I visited the LFS which I think is one of the better ones here and made it clear what I had- the crawfish was purchased at the same time, he claimed the shrimp would normally be too fast for the crawfish. The crawfish is about 1.25in long- I've had other larger ones and recognize they can be a threat- lost a Betta to one years ago, but this one I like. The shrimp's purpose here is clean up and algae.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.