The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a carpet plant but i dont have planting substrate only mesh and big gravel(2mm +-) and its going to be a low tech (no ferts no CO2 or maybe after i will find a job i will and some ferts and CO2(diy))

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Try any taxiphyllum moss sp. Will need to trim for that desired effect. I find this genus an easy and fast grower adaptable to a range of conditions. U need to also get material such as ss mesh or slate rock. Moss would be perfect for your op description.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You get out what you put in, and mesh and big gravel limits your options. Kinda like giving your kid lunch for school and it's an empty tupperware container. Go with moss although dwarf sag is a tough customer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Moss is probably your best bet. Tied to the mesh you mention.

2mm isn't that big, as gravel goes. You might be able to grow something like Marsilea or HC. However, they will grow slowly without high light and CO2.

You could try a dry start with HC. It will spread much more quickly that way. Flood the tank after the carpet grows in. (You could try that with Marsilea, too, but Marsilea has always grown better submerged for me.)

And you will need some ferts. It doesn't have to be expensive. There are low-cost options available, like Jobe's plant spikes.

Edit: You could also consider dwarf hairgrass "belem." I've found it grows very well as long as you don't force it compete with fast-growing stem plants. Dry starts work great. The blades of the "belem" variety don't get very long, and they curl over, making the lawn very short, even under moderate lighting.

With a lawn and no CO2, you'll probably want some floating plants like Salvinia. They'll take the place of stem plants as nutrient absorbers. They don't compete with lawn plants for CO2, because they get it from the air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.