The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I seem to recall some people that were feeding bananas to their reef fish, I think it was the hard to keep Moorish idols going by memory.
I've recently been tossing in cucumber and zuchinni in both my planted and goldy planted tank, and I thought, what about bananas?
I mean, potasium is good, and they are high in potasium, so just thought I'd check here for opinions, see if you guys are doing this?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
make sure you take out what they dont eat or you are gonna have a mess and a half on your hands

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny, my goldfish are just lovin it!lol
But yeah, it's getting messy in there, this may be more of a rare treat from here on out.
I dropped a piece right where my pleco hides in my big tank, hopefully he's eating it as well.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
goldfish love paper thin slices of banana, it's pretty hilarious to watch them eat it too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do people add vodka to FW tanks?
This is pretty common among reefs to reduce nitrates, makes corals really pop in color.
As for bananas, as well as cucumbers, zuchini, and stuff, it's similar to any petfood for any animal, most commercial stuff is loaded w/ fillers and crap, and you get so much better health/color when you make your own food.
I'm curious what other foods people add to their tanks, I'm sure lettuce, but what else?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
ok, stay away from the booze for a FW tank not really gonna need it, as far as other food sources, you have alot of option, depending on what species you keep. I used to feed some my carnivorous species boiled chicken, but that makes a mess and probably isn't a great call... african cichlids will eat anything green... lettuce, kale, mustard greens, collard greens.

F

·
Registered
567 Posts
When I was raising angelfish I used tofeed them a lot of homemade foods. I would take a good protein source, either beef heart or these bags of mixed shellfish my grocery store carried as 'seafood medley' and then run them through the blender with some vegetables like carrots, peas, spinach, zucchini,and broccoli until it was broken up into small bits but not liquid. Then I'd freeze serving sized portions so I could just drop cubes into the tanks. The fish loved it!

I've never tried banana. I guess if they like it, why not? Just don't make it their only food, since they need other nutrients too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, my alc pref is tequilla anyway, and I don't share!lol
I may sometimes drink LIKE a fish, but rarely WITH my fish!
The banana is definitely going to be a rare treat, as they do seem messy.
I like that blend Ariel, and pretty similar to reef fish blend.
I will try adding more leafy veggies.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
if you add a bit of baby pablum the cubes will stay together a little better and not break apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts