The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my banana plant out of my 55 g to put in my new 5 g with Flourite. When I pulled the little guy out the leafs were turning whitish and a few bananas are brown. Then when I started looking even more the whole part with the leaves and the 'roots' pulled out of the banana part. My question is will my bananas grow back? Is my plant completley dead or will he come back? I really love this plant and I hope it can live!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Did you have the whole thing buried? Those "bananas" are suppose to sit on top of the substrate with just the tip in. Do you have a picture? It can grow with just one if it needed to. Just give it love and time.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Cut away any soft "bananas" and leave it above the substrate. It only took about 1-2 week before my plant sent roots down. Now it won't stop producing lily pads.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very resilient, it'll grow back. Don't bury it, just place it on the substrate and maybe away from strong currents so it doesn't move..

·
Banned
62 Posts
I've always just let my Banana plants sit on top and they root out from the bottom and then I bury those. Keep in mind when they do start to sprout big leaves you'll wake up one day and turn on your tank to find that your banana plant is floating halfway up your tank. I do a 30 gallon low tech and i have 4 BP's that are out of control. I have a bottom layer of Organic Potting Soil, a mid layer of flourite, and then a mild top off of small pebbles to allow the roots to properly squeeze through. I also dose twice a week with Flourish and apparently my BP's couldn't be happier about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts