The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm pretty sure I had seen a tank scape pictured in a book that used bamboo.

Not that that really means anything, people can get all kinds of silly stuff printed in books...

I'd imagine as long as you let it weather/soak a bit, it shouldn't be much different then most other types of wood.

Probably have to punch through the inside of the segments, or possibly even fill them with sand to get it to sink.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dint think about them rotting. I was worried about being toxic in some way.

Not sure what fish I will get when I set up my new tank. Was thinking some Kulhi Loaches and the bamboo would make a nice hiding place.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Bamboo is not toxic.
I have heard of treating it with something that seals it, don't remember what. Some sort of clear sealer.

I think Plecos will eat it, so I would not treat it. (especially the wood eating ones)

Try it, see how long it lasts.
Yes, you will probably have to drill holes or something to let the air out of each section if you use longer pieces. Make sure no fish can get stuck in there.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
depends on if its bamboo or cain. bamboo is hollow cain is solid and will break down pretty fast in the tank. i use bamboo for pleco breeding caves. i say just boil it and it will kill any nasties on it. i have some bamboo i have had in a tank 3 years and its still pretty good. yes it is starting to break down but again its been 3 years in water. even my drift wood in my 55 started to break down some in 3 years

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I'd imagine as long as you let it weather/soak a bit, it shouldn't be much different then most other types of wood.
bamboo when water logged will sink just like any drift wood with out holes in it. i even put green bamboo in my shrimp tanks as a test and while being green grew the white bacteria most new drift wood does in a tank it sank faster and lasted just as long as aged bamboo. if its safe for shrimp its prob safe for fish

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
bamboo when water logged will sink just like any drift wood with out holes in it. i even put green bamboo in my shrimp tanks as a test and while being green grew the white bacteria most new drift wood does in a tank it sank faster and lasted just as long as aged bamboo. if its safe for shrimp its prob safe for fish

im not talking lucky bamboo im talking true bamboo. lucky bamboo is a cain and will rot in water

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.