The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not the plant but dried bamboo stalk. I want to put a couple of bamboo stalks in my 45 to break up the upper part of the tank. Will they rot out like there live relatives?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have some dried bamboo in one of my tanks now. Sort of wierd . . . didn't affect water quality (in any detectable way), but mine was less than an inch in thickness and this greatly effects the amount of time it can be kept in an aquarium.

The time is much more finite than, say driftwood. I recently removed all but the sturdier portions I had in there as it had begun to discolor pretty badly after four months.

Someone once mentioned "sealing it" with some sort of varnish or something along those lines. I refused to try it after I'd bought a can of the stuff, because it smelled like paint thinner and I WAS NOT about to introduce anything smelling that noxious into my tank water!

Maybe you can have a good run with it. Like I said, the majority of mine looked ready to go after about 4 months. The remaining two or three pieces look pretty good for now . . .

Kev.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts