The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Some of your fish (specifically the Bala sharks and Giant Danios) will probably pick at the bamboo shrimp, especially if you only get one, although I wouldn't exclude the tetras either as they are micropredators.

Anyway, Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and will occasionally scavenge around on your substrate for food, but not often. They like higher flows and will strategically place themselves near a good flow to gain access to food. They need very well established aquariums as immature setups just don't have enough diatoms established to feed these awesome shrimp. They also like company, maximum amount usually is 1 per 10 gallons but in a larger tank you could probably get more. They do shed and will be shy upon first introduction anywhere from a few days up to a month or two depending on the environment. The more cover the better, as they will also 'hang' upside down on floating plants to gain access to food supply. Some have had success target feeding (with a turkey baster or large pipette) dissolved algae pellets or other sources of food. You could also feed them blanched zucchini or cucumber for added nutrition. Like many shrimp, they are sensitive to copper medications and have no defense mechanisms so housing them with docile, non-aggressive fishes is essential. When first purchasing, pay attention to how they filter feed, making sure their appendages for feeding aren't damaged (common occurrence at PETCO).

·
Registered
528 Posts
I also have to second that just because a Bamboo shrimp may/may not scavenge on the bottom doesn't mean it is starving, I believe it is part of their natural behavior to scavenge and gather as much food as needed. Good rule of thumb on forums is to take every opinion with a grain of salt until you research it further.

If you really want a crustacean you could try freshwater Red Claw Crabs, although watch them with your tetras as they have been known to grab slow, small fishes. I think you're making the right choice about choosing against Bamboo shrimp, they do much better in a shrimp-only or very docile community setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts