The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all I was looking at some bamboo shrimp at PETCO can anyone give me some basic facts about raising them? They look pretty cool so was interested in raising them with my other fish in my 55 gallon. A few facts about my tank...55 gallon, two marine land penguin hob filters one UV sterilizer on for a few hours a day. About eighteen plants including water wisteria amazon swords and anacharis. Water change once every couple of weeks, liquid ferts (sea chem flourish) API co2 booster API root tabs oh and a for the extra filter slot on the penguins I add extra carbon and API ammo chips changed once a month. I think that's about it. Gee I didn't realize I had so much going on lol ;) oh I forgot the fish I have two red eyed tetras two bala sharks and ten neon tetras and five giant danios.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Some of your fish (specifically the Bala sharks and Giant Danios) will probably pick at the bamboo shrimp, especially if you only get one, although I wouldn't exclude the tetras either as they are micropredators.

Anyway, Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and will occasionally scavenge around on your substrate for food, but not often. They like higher flows and will strategically place themselves near a good flow to gain access to food. They need very well established aquariums as immature setups just don't have enough diatoms established to feed these awesome shrimp. They also like company, maximum amount usually is 1 per 10 gallons but in a larger tank you could probably get more. They do shed and will be shy upon first introduction anywhere from a few days up to a month or two depending on the environment. The more cover the better, as they will also 'hang' upside down on floating plants to gain access to food supply. Some have had success target feeding (with a turkey baster or large pipette) dissolved algae pellets or other sources of food. You could also feed them blanched zucchini or cucumber for added nutrition. Like many shrimp, they are sensitive to copper medications and have no defense mechanisms so housing them with docile, non-aggressive fishes is essential. When first purchasing, pay attention to how they filter feed, making sure their appendages for feeding aren't damaged (common occurrence at PETCO).

·
Registered
170 Posts
IME bamboo shrimp would be in a tank on their own, or with other shrimp, corries, ottos.... basically keep them away from anything that will nip at their filters (for feeding). as stated above (great info) they can scavenge the ground BUT thats a sign they are being starved. i found that neons and larger fish will nip those filters and cause the bamboo shrimp to become stressed and die early. those balas will most likely eat it as soon as it sheds (if it cant completely hide.)
they do need several perches along the tank. this will allow them to choose what current to be in. high flow for them is also key.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Please be careful with the idea that if bamboo shrimp scavenge they are starving. This has become a firmly held belief in some quarters without any solid evidence to back it up. What people may MEAN is what genocdex said, " ...that's a sign they are being starved." A better way to put it might be "this MAY be a sign they are not getting enough food." The emphasis being on the "may" because it is clearly NOT the case that if a bamboo shrimp scavenges in the substrate he therefore must be starving. The reason this is important is simple: some BS routinely wander around the tank picking at the substrate even when there is tons of food in the wc and a new owner may feel that signals a lack of food. And we all know what happens when we feed too much, don't we... :)-) I was watching BS the other day: One of them had a two inch string of waste hanging from him which sorta indicates there is plenty of food in the wc... He was hanging on a filter collecting food (they often love to hang on filters because there is a good amount of water flow). But down on the bottom sat another one between two chunks of wood happily picking away at the substrate. A few hours later he is hanging on some wood doing his baseball mitt thing. My personal opinion (with no scientific evidence to back it up) is that the best way to feed these guys is to add tiny amounts of food to the tank often with the goal of keeping small amounts suspended in the wc at all times.

One of the problems with bulletin boards is that inaccuracies and myths get passed around and become more true in the passing. The good news is that correct information can become true too!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info I appreciate it. I think if the fish are goin to pick on the shrimp I won't get them. Right now all my fish get along with each other quite well. I don't want to I reduce an crustacean that will be harassed. I try hard to keep my tank " in harmony" as I use it for relaxation purposes as well as personal enjoyment and attractive decoration. I've had luck with ghost shrimp in the past I might try them. There are lots of places to hide in my tank with faux wood and the plants.maybe y'all can suggest something else.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I also have to second that just because a Bamboo shrimp may/may not scavenge on the bottom doesn't mean it is starving, I believe it is part of their natural behavior to scavenge and gather as much food as needed. Good rule of thumb on forums is to take every opinion with a grain of salt until you research it further.

If you really want a crustacean you could try freshwater Red Claw Crabs, although watch them with your tetras as they have been known to grab slow, small fishes. I think you're making the right choice about choosing against Bamboo shrimp, they do much better in a shrimp-only or very docile community setup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is pretty shy, he lives with nano fish and cherry shrimp and does very well but larger fish is probably not a good idea. Mine does like to roam around and pick at things at times, getting his exercise and a change of scenery.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, I have been wanting to try my hand at Bamboo shrimp, but I am afraid my betta in the community tank might harass him to death. So haven't tried it. One on these days, I may set up a small tank for a few...love their little feeder hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts