The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have bamboo shrimp? They are amazing to watch when they eat!! They are mostly filter feeders, so if you have green water, they will clear it up pretty quickly. They love crushed algae wafers in the water column and "catch" the food with little feathered legs flying in the air. Really amazing to watch!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have 2 of them and they live a long life for shrimp. Mine are 8 years old and going strong. Also one of the few shrimp that can be kept with small fish.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just put three of these in one of my tanks. Really interesting to watch. They are finally settling in and Im getting to see their feeding habits. Glad I finally had the chance to get a few...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that's the question, huh? I would love to try. I tried to breed Amano, but when she is all loaded up with her eggs, I never could collect her before she let them go.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Saw some at Petco yesterday. They did look pretty cool. I thought about grabbing a couple but wasn't sure about their needs so I didn't and I knew better than the ask someone that worked there.
I always just pull out my phone and Google whatever species interests me in this situation. It's weird how much the price of these shrimp varies. I've seen them for $12 but my LFS sells them for $4.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
These are one of the coolest freshwater inverts that are commonly available. They are very hardy and easy to keep, just so long as you add them to an established tank; otherwise they will not get enough to eat without supplementing their diet. I do not know of anyone who has successfully bred them in captivity; all of the specimens that are commercially available are wild-caught as far as I know.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just got 4 about a week ago. Hoping to breed them. I did have success breeding amanos once (and also many failures). Thought it would be fun to give bamboo shrimp a try.

I put them in a tank with a bunch of amanos because the amanos constantly stir up the substrate, leading to a lot of stuff floating around for the bamboo shrimp to eat.

$4 sounds really cheap. $12 is what I'm used to seeing, sometimes even $14. I just bought mine through azgardens for $6 each, which is by far the cheapest I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Supposedly they have a brackish phase in their development, but I don't know if that's a known fact or the standard answer when we can't get shrimp to breed successfully in captivity. I had a pair for some time, loved them except when they were tearing up my plants trying to hide from me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got mine at Petco for $10 each. The store personnel definately didn't know anything about them. As a matter of fact, they keep starving them and placing them with the wrong tank mates. Crayfish are eating their fans arms and legs and such. They don't even know how to feed them. So mine are just now adjusting to the tank and hopefully they will start to come out and visit a bit.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
My roomies went to the LFS to get some more algae(amano) shrimp and just said he wanted the biggest ones in the tank, they had them like 4/$3.99 or something and they have him 4 bamboo's instead.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I always just pull out my phone and Google whatever species interests me in this situation. It's weird how much the price of these shrimp varies. I've seen them for $12 but my LFS sells them for $4.
Yeah...I usually do that too...I just happened to forget my phone that day. They were $10 which sounds like the low average price...maybe next time I go I'll grab a couple.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My roomies went to the LFS to get some more algae(amano) shrimp and just said he wanted the biggest ones in the tank, they had them like 4/$3.99 or something and they have him 4 bamboo's instead.
Too bad that store is not local to me! Bamboo Shrimps are in the $8 to $12 range here in Florida...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.