The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i promise this is the last change, lol.

Ok, i've been thinking for weeks, i was going to get some seahorses in a 55g to breed, then i decided to start out with saltwater, then start breeding, then i thought a 55g reef tank with radiata lionfish and snowflake eel.

now, i have thought alot about it, and i think getting a bamboo cat shark would be way more worth the money.

I'm plannin on getting a 277 gallon circle pool with a sitting area, where the shark could swim up for feeding time or something.

it will be tough i know, and i'll be ready.

i'll have a tub as a refugium, live rock, tubeworms, clam, anything i can afford to help filter. It will also have a heater of course.

i have some questions.

what is a good book that someone can suggest for learning more about keeping a bamboo cat shark?

and does anyone know a cheap place with cheap shipping i can get a bamboo cat shark egg at?

also, should i hatch the egg in the pool or should it be hatched in like a 15 gallon tub? guessing the egg should be hatched in pool right?

i want to get it and raise it from birth, it will be a fun experience and he will grow up in his pool. since i am getting it and hatching it, can i train it to be hand feed at birth and work with it so when it's bigger it will be more tame?

should i get like big angelfish or some triggerfish in the pool so he won't be lonely or is that a waste of money?

hoping someone can answer atleast some of my questions. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
780 Posts
To begin with, a 277 gallon pool isn't going to be large enough for any full-grown shark, even a small species. I wouldn't consider anything less than 800-1000 gallons suitable. That size pool would be enough for a stingray though. The expense would be considerably less, not to mention the upkeep required. Not to mention that stingrays do breed in captivity, have live young, and if/when they breed, you could get some of your money back selling the young ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh great, another animal that i'm starting to think about, lol...

i've read, at most stores online they say 180, but in real life, most hobbyists say 200 or more. i've never heard of a tank that big for a black banded cat shark or bamboo shark.

i'll have to look at stingray prices and stuff, thanks for the suggestion, but everytime i ask people about a fish they suggest a different fish and i've been going in circles from seahorses to sharks in the last couple months :icon_frow

·
Registered
780 Posts
i've read, at most stores online they say 180, but in real life, most hobbyists say 200 or more. i've never heard of a tank that big for a black banded cat shark or bamboo shark.
Yes, and some folks keep an oscar in a 55 gallon tank. The fish can only swim 3-4 times its body length before turning around. That's like living in a closet...
Just my opinion, but any critter at least deserves a decent sized box to live in. I'm not familiar with black banded or bamboo cat sharks, but I do know any species of shark likes to have plenty of swimming space. They aren't aquarium-bred like many FW species, and their instincts are geared to survival in the ocean.
From what I've gathered, stingrays make better "pets" than sharks, and aren't likely to take off a finger if you hand-feed them. A friend who owns an lfs got a bad bite from a snowflake moray eel he had in his shop. It took many weeks for his hand to heal afterwards. There are also several hundred people each year who are treated for injuries from lionfish. The venom in their spines is extremely painful, and it only takes a split second to be stung. Granted, stingrays are also dangerous, but overall seem less likely to be a problem than the SW species.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't know exactly what a "bamboo cat shark" is (scientific names are nice), but I do know that the bamboo and epaulette shark families are among the few suited to aquarium life. They only grow to 30-40 inches or so, and are mostly sedentary reef dwellers. They are most comfortable tucked into coral, not swimming around in the open, so they won't mind the close confines of aquarium life. Aquarium Fish magazine did an article on these species within the last three years. Do some reading and research and try to talk to other hobbyists who have owned them, but it is doable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i've had like three threads on here, i changed my mind after someone told me every drop of sand in there would have to be live and that i'd need 425 pounds of live rock. then another person said that the 425lbs of live rock would not be a nessesity because it's not the only way to biologically fitlter and o on.

so i may be going with the shark again. gonna do more research and talking with people online. and i'm looking for some good shark books too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Puddle, I'd rather you should not get the sharks. I have seen your threads(especially in the other forum :wink: ) with people mentioning that sharks are delicate(despite the fact that I have lesser knowledge to marine than freshwater) and even then I would add that Toddnbecka has given you excellent points. A 277 gallons pool is still insufficient for species of sharks.

Try weighing down the positives and negatives of having a pool and a shark. Can you handle the costs? There is no need for you to get the shark. How will that benefit you? There are lots of marine fish to choose, not just sharks.

I can see why one person in the other forum mentioned that sharks should have been banned from the aquarium trade regardless of how some people can accommodate them or not.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hmmm....

Just how much experience do you have with saltwater aquariums? It seems like you're all over the board with what you want to do.

My first post in this thread was to correct a misconception (that all sharks are home aquarium incompatible). I said that it is doable to keep a FEW species. But doable and a good idea are two different things. Unless you have considerable experience and resources, it's not a good idea.

It seems from Bluebell's response that you are also a member of a saltwater online forum. I'd suggest you post questions like this there rather than here. I'm sure that many hobbyists on this site have SW experience, but this is not a SW site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bluebell, i am not going to be getting one fyi.

but the plan was that i would have a 277g at the beginning as he was growing up, then upgrade to a large pool and so on.

but i am sticking with the origanal plan of seahorses now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A friend was telling me about visiting a public aquarium that had a very large shallow pool full of stingrays for the visitors to touch. I don't know whether their barbs had been removed, or if that's even possible, but apparently they were quite comfortable with being touched.
Any animal can be dangerous if it feels threatened. Most of the incidents with captive animals occur when the owner/keeper becomes careless for just a moment, feeling that since nothing has happened before, it never will.
Even the best make mistakes, I still don't understand Steve Irwin getting close enough to the stingray that killed him. That was like placing himself within striking distance of a rattlesnake.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A friend was telling me about visiting a public aquarium that had a very large shallow pool full of stingrays for the visitors to touch..
I can tell you where that was.....
Ripley's Believe it of not Aquarium in SC
There are also sharks in there, and they have a live feeding show...I went and
had a blast.

EDIT: You can Swim with the Stingrays and Sleep with the Sharks (they have a tunnel that goes under a shark tank that you sleep in)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Don't you think it would be better to ask these questions on a saltwater forum? ReefCentral.com or Marine Depot's forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts