The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around the internet, I think I may have found a ballast that is within my price range for me to experiment with. I am looking to use it with the 4-pin 2G11 base bulbs, 55w.

This is the ballast: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190110001694&rd=1&rd=1

And here is the spec sheet:
http://www.advancetransformer.com/ecatalog/flb_lookup.asp

Go there and put ICN-2S54 @ 120vas the catalog number.

It does say in the spec sheet it allows 2 lamps rated for 55 w.

I am confused though because the wiring scheme shows that of a normal fluorescent tube. But the lamp type does fit a FT55W/2G11. (assuming FT55W is the type of lamp that is commonly used, the the dual tube type used in the AHsupply package).

For $17, and the ability to run 2 55w bulbs off of it, seems like a pretty good deal if it is possible to use the ballast.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I did a little searching but the search results were simply too numerous.

What is the name of the type of bulbs that the ahsupply.com kit are meant for? Kind of how t8, t12, etc., refer to the common tubes, what would be the designation for that type of bulb?

Would anyone know how to wire dual bulbs with the ballast in question?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I saw that, and that is where my confusion comes in. It says the ballast will operate with a 2g11 socket, but I have no clue how that play on the wiring diagram. The diagram looks to be that of a normal fluorescent tube.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This ballast will work just fine and its not difficult to wire. just think of a normal tube bent in half and there you go.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah. Stated differently: flourescent bulbs have 2 pins each end, PC of CF (whatever you call it) are no different (just bent T5 and T6 bulbs usually), they have 2 pins on each end. But since the ends are bent together, all 4 pins are on 1 end. But your leftmost 2 pins are for one end and the rightmost 2 pins for the other end, when the bulb is laid flat, I beleive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh, now it's making sense. I always thought PC and CF were two totally different bulbs. I was always afraid if I accidentally used a regular fluorescent ballast with a PC bulb that the bulb would explode or something.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The ballasts are different, the watt per foot of the bulb is different, so PC/CF would take different ballast than your regular shoplight for example (to drive them at their maunfacturers specs). Some ballasts can actually drive regular fluorescents and CF/PC (I think some workhorse ballasts might, for example).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.