The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be starting a planted tank soon. It's going to be a 55gal with diy co2. Its going to be stocked with java fern, java moss, glosso, a melon sword, creeping jenny, and others. I'm making a canopy for it. I have a question about ballasts though. I bought a ballast the other day. It feels like it weighs 10 pounds! Its a advance, mark III energy saver R-2S110-TP rapid start, 120v, 60 hertz, series NO PCB's. It's designed to run two T-12 fluorescent bulbs. I bought the wiring for it and the bulb fixture connections. I was told the ballast would need to be in its out box away from bulbs. What kind of canopy design would I need to use this ballast?

P.S. All of this is to grow low to medium growing plants. I can't imagine having to buy two of these ballasts and install it in a canopy over the tank. That would be like 20 pounds in ballast weight alone, over the tank, to get 220watts total.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Why not buy an electronic ballasts instead? Something like the REL-4P32-SC?

They are cheap, light weight, run cool, are more energy efficient, can drive 4 bulbs at a time (or overdrive bulbs), extend bulb life, and are silent. And don't contain PCB's either!

Better choice I think... :wink:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They are cheap, light weight, run cool, are more energy efficient, can drive 4 bulbs at a time (or overdrive bulbs), extend bulb life, and are silent. And don't contain PCB's either!

I'm having a hard time finding what I need in the stores. When I ask the associates for what I'm looking for they say they never heard of it and they don't sell it. This was at Lowes and Home Depot, by the way.

If I could find a electronic ballast that puts out atleast 110 watts and runs two 4' bulbs than I'd buy it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Take a look at ebay as well. I got 4 sylvania quicktonic ballasts designed to drive four 4' bulbs, new still in shrink wrap for less than $15 ea including shipping. I overdrive bulbs 2x (I have 4 bulbs and 2 ballasts) and I just mounted them right up in the canopy. I put about 4 washers under each screw though, so they arent against the wood, and to allow air to circulate around them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take a look at ebay as well. I got 4 sylvania quicktonic ballasts designed to drive four 4' bulbs, new still in shrink wrap for less than $15 ea including shipping. I overdrive bulbs 2x (I have 4 bulbs and 2 ballasts) and I just mounted them right up in the canopy. I put about 4 washers under each screw though, so they arent against the wood, and to allow air to circulate around them.
Thanks. I'll take a look.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
FYI- NO new ballasts contain PCB's. They were outlawed YEARS ago. All PCB-free ballasts are marked as such.

Tommy

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I have another question. Is it possible to buy a shop light fixure with the horsework 7 ballast already installed?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Ok. I have another question. Is it possible to buy a shop light fixure with the horsework 7 ballast already installed?
I highly doubt it since shop lights are a low priced item which the WH7 ballast is NOT.

If what you want is a WH7 ballast then they are actually pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I highly doubt it since shop lights are a low priced item which the WH7 ballast is NOT.

If what you want is a WH7 ballast then they are actually pretty easy to find.
So it be very hard/time consuming to by a WH7 ballast and buy a shop light fixure and hook up the ballast to the fixure?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Why would you want to replace the ballast in a working shop light?

As I read you post a couple of things are not clear. You want to run 4 T12 bulbs from what I read. That will give you a nominal 160 watts over the tank. Not 220. And with DIY CO2 you are going to have to do a lot of work even with the 160 watts.

Why not just go to Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits and get a 2x55 watt kit that comes with everything you need? That 110 watts of light actually gets into the tank and will provide more light than any shop light you can get over the tank.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would you want to replace the ballast in a working shop light?.
Why not? It will give my desired wattage per gallon

You want to run 4 T12 bulbs from what I read. That will give you a nominal 160 watts over the tank. Not 220
2 T-12's were in my original plan. I wanted the ballast to overdrive them to get 220watts total. After more research I decided I wasn't going to use the T-12's and go with T8, since that's what in most shop lights.

[/QUOTE]
And with DIY CO2 you are going to have to do a lot of work even with the 160 watts.

Why not just go to Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits and get a 2x55 watt kit that comes with everything you need? That 110 watts of light actually gets into the tank and will provide more light than any shop light you can get over the tank.[/QUOTE]

I know very little about CF. From the little I have read about them I hear they are very expensive. I'm on a buget.

Bottom line, I want to grow low to medium light requiring plants in my 55gallon tank. I currently have glosso, java fern, creeping jenny, and a melon sword.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You can't get 220 watts by over driving a pair of T8 bulbs.

Haev you even looked at the price of the AH Supply kits? About $113.47 shipped with two bulbs.

No messing around. No trying to find the right ballast. You get awesome reflectors, something that NO shop light is going to give you.

And the AH Supply kits fill your needs. Giving you the light to grow the plants you want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haev you even looked at the price of the AH Supply kits? About $113.47 shipped with two bulbs.

Can't afford it. I have $40 to spend on lighting total. I was under the impression you can override bulbs and get more wattage of them by using a WH7 ballast.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"I want to grow low to medium light requiring plants in my 55gallon tank. I currently have glosso, java fern, creeping jenny, and a melon sword."

These are the type plants I need to grow. What type of lighting could I give them for $40? I want them to stay alive.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Just get two inexpensive shop lights. That will run you less than $20 if you shop around. Then save up for the AH Supply kits.

·
Registered
292 Posts

What he said.

Here is the spec sheet: http://www.advancetransformer.com/eCatalog/out/2769625831.pdf [lots of good information on that website too about how to use their products]

I think they're about $18.

My local Home Depot stocks these in the lighting section. And I bet if I asked any employee in the store, they woudn't have a clue what I was talking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts