The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am doing as much as I can DIY on my new 20 gallon tank.

I have been having troubles finding an affordable ballasts for a cfl 4-pin socket to power either a 40w or 55w.

I have a friend who is an electrician that will do the conversion for my old hood, so wiring isn't a problem.

But I need to find the parts first. I found the sockets no problem, I just need the appropriate ballast.

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and I would rather not order the kit from ahsupply, I want to do as much DIY as I can. But on a cost basis, having everything for $41 while just the ballast will cost me $25, seems more sense to order it.

Is there a cheaper way to get the ballast for under $20?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oh, and I would rather not order the kit from ahsupply, I want to do as much DIY as I can.
I've not ordered from AHSupply yet but aren’t these kits unassembled? meaning you’d have to do the same DIY work whether you bought all the parts separate or not? If you want a ballast as cheap as possible maybe try ebay? I got decent 4x32W T8 ballasts for a little under $15ea shipped, but had to get 4 of them for that price.

Power compact.
T5/T6 are straight bulbs. Heck, Txx where xx = 5, 6, 8, 12, are straight bulbs. PC bulbs are essentially bent T5 bulbs.
They can be bent T4, T5, and T6 bulbs. Not sure if they come in any other sizes. Seems that most of the time the higher wattage ones are bigger diameter while the lower wattage ones are smaller. I've also noticed that screw-in spiral fluorescents are the similar.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am looking at the Fulham Workhorse 3 which seems to be able to power the 55w cfl. Does anyone know of a cheaper brand, style or a place that sells an equivalent oem ballast for a little less?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah AHSupply's kits come unassembled...plus their customer service is top notch and I recieved my package the very next day...i was thoroughly impressed if you couldn't tell...might try calling them up to see if he would just sell the ballast for your CF's

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, and I would rather not order the kit from ahsupply, I want to do as much DIY as I can. But on a cost basis, having everything for $41 while just the ballast will cost me $25, seems more sense to order it.

When I did my hood I did a lot of searching for a cheap ballast. probably looked at 50 or so web sites and compared prices. Last time I looked there are a couple of people selling them on ebay which are okay prices. but if you are going to buy that bulb on 1000bulbs.com you might as well order a fulham from them. Last year they were the cheapest place on the internet ( when I say cheapest that means you are not getting raped with shipping, there are some selling for cheaper but the shipping charges are freaken insane you would think the make the shipping box out of wood) to buy a fulham ballast. There are a few people on ebay that regularly sell them for the 1000bulb price. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.