The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that about sums it up. Let me rant a little, though, just to wake my mind up.

I got home today at about 3:30. I was told by my father that me and my brother had to drive to the city (about a 10-20 minute drive away depending on the time of day) drop his rented movie off at the movie place, go to WalMart and proceed to buy motor oil, deoderant, dish washer tabs, and two boxes of frozen pizza. My dad had been home all day long with two cars, both running well, and the weather was quite nice, and yet he couldn't drive to town himself...

So, when I got home the first time, I just wanted to get changing the gravel in my 55 gallon tank out of the way. I knew it was going to be a several hour long job and I didn't want it to take all day.

It was 5:30 before we got home.

I took the fish out, took out all of the plants, started removing the gravel when all of a sudden I realized that I had two Ramshorn snails somewhere in the tank that I quite liked. Panicking, I looked all around the tank and managed to find only one. So, I then went though, handful by handful, and checked the gravel I had already taken out for a ramshorn. Nothing. I knew I shouldn't spend more time looking than I had to for my fish's sake, so I quickly emptied out my last 10 gallon tank and poured the gravel and a couple of gallons of water into it. I figure I can look for the snails later, if they come out that is.

Then, I put the sand in the tank. After I got everything where I wanted it, I began siphoning out the water. 1/2 way though that, I was interrupted by my brother who said that, once again, we had to go out. This time to deliver some cookies to my aunt. That was another 30 minutes wasted.

As soon as I got home (hungry though I was, and even though dinner was done) I hurried back into my room and checked on my tiger barbs. Their color was so off that my normal barbs looked like green ones.

Kicking it into high gear, I rushed though the rest of the draining, got the fake plants back in, and then carefully put my fish back in the tank. I then began to fill it back up with water.

The tank is still a little cloudy. It seems that my 2 hours spent washing the sand yesterday wasn't quite enough. I'm not surprised, though. Hopefully it won't hurt the fish too much.

NOW: ON TO THE REAL PROBLEM:

I have two balas in the tank. One I've had for nearly a year and is 4-5 inches long. This bala has devoloped several weird patches on it's body. The almost look like scratch marks. They are located on the tail end half of the bottom. One almost looks like it's a possible fungus.

I know one of my fish was jumping and trying to get out of the bucket. But, if it was this bala, wouldn't you think that the marks would be on the head end of the body?

Anyway, I'm concerned. I just wish to have this whole thing over with. I swear, I'm as stressed as the tiger barbs were with all that has been going on this last week.

I'll get some pictures when the tank clears up in a couple of days. For now, I plan on doing daily 50% water changes. I'm moving some of my AquaClear filter's media over to my other tanks before I go to sleep to keep it all alive. Neither of my filters are on. That's something I will not be able to replace if the sand particles destroy it. So, I've just got my power head going in the tank to keep everything moving.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hmm not really sure what it could be without photos but maybe fin rot? Either way just make sure to keep the water clean and maybe add some salts to the tank as that will help with healing wounds. Also fyi a 55g isnt going to be big enough for a full grown bala shark

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about the tank size. I'm looking for a 125 gallon tank for the sharks when they are bigger. Right now, though, my shark has plenty of room.

Anyway, the tank's still quite cloudy this morning.

I'm pretty sure it's not fin rot, I've seen enough of that to know what it looks like. I also know it's not ick as I've dealt with a lot of that in my time as well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts