The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have never done water changes on my tanks. Well can't say never but maybe one or twice a year to reduce tds. But for the most part my tanks are little to no maintenance. I attribute this to a very low bio load. Most people thin my tanks are empty. In my current 75 gallon tank I have 8 CPD, 3 ottos and a bunch of RCS. Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

Have a gniess day. -Scott

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Actually I hope I'm wrong about it but I think your on the wrong forum for that.
From what I've read on here there are low tech people. But seems that most are only interested in getting the fastest plant growth available to mankind whatever it takes.
On "Aquarium forum.com" there is in the algae section a thread about what is called
an algae scrubber.This helps keep algae out of your tank and loos fairly easy to build.
But one of the side ffects is that your tank no longer has any nitrates.
I believe the thread is "Will we ever be rid of it ?"
But basically a balanced tank of the kind you seek is just low on bio-load and high on
plants. And just keep reducing the KNO3 in small incraments till the test at weeks end
shows low nitrates. Once there, let it go another week and see if the test is still low enough for you. If not, reduce in small incrament again and repete this till you get
consistent low readings on the nitrates. AND I'd say the larger the tank the easier it would be.

·
Registered
667 Posts
NOT good pix , just banged them out a few minutes back , no edit , just raw conversion,resize,and white balance correction.

1. 65 gal , set up at least 10 years , just top up water .

2. 10 gal , up for a few years , harvested larger crypts a few months back . Breeding,maintenance tank for Ps. ivantsoffi . No filter , just top ups , partial water changes now and then when crud on the tank bottom gets to me.

3. 10 gal , up over a year , grow up/maintenance tank for Riv. uroflammeus .
Yup, its got algae ... pull it out now and then , just top ups , partial water change as with 2. No filter,just air .

Most of my tanks are set up similarly . No aquascaping per se, the plants are there to keep the fish happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.