The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I understand that bala's growth is rather slow or so I've read and have been told. I have 3 in a 90 gallon at 2.5". I recently put in some cardinal tetras and was wondering if the baba's would eat the cardinals as the got bigger? Any and all input is welcome. If you have bala's and cardinals or neons together please chime in. Thanks

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
My sister bought several at the common (small) size in most stores. She then gave them to me. They are about 4 years old now, and over 4" long. Certainly big enough to eat smaller fish. I do not keep them with smaller fish.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Cardinals very rarely get to 2" long. Even large females usually only get to 1.5", it takes exceptional situations or a very good gene pool for them to get large.
It's not that balas are predatory, it's just that fish will swallow any other fish that'll fit in their mouths.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna hang on to the balas for awhile. I want to see the growth rate actually. Like you say, will have to get rid of them eventually because it's a 90 gallon tank. But from what I've read and talked to locals about, they should be fine for some time to come.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rethinking about these fish. Yes, they are nice when small , but they get monstrous for sure. Will be removing them very soon. Another fish that I believe should really not be sold. Just one of many fish abused in the hobby. IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.