The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is baking fresh wood as good as boiling in regards to sterilization? I have some Grapevine that will fit in the oven but not in a pot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only thing I can think of is it would really dry the wood out. Might take longer to water log. That's just an assumption though. Kind of like baking fresh spices to dry them out.

You could probably boil some water and dump it on the wood in the sink also. Just plug up your sink and poor some big pots of boiling water on to it and let it soak in the hot hot water for a bit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The only thing I can think of is it would really dry the wood out. Might take longer to water log. That's just an assumption though. Kind of like baking fresh spices to dry them out.

You could probably boil some water and dump it on the wood in the sink also. Just plug up your sink and poor some big pots of boiling water on to it and let it soak in the hot hot water for a bit. Just a thought.
i did some thing like this with some wood i got from petco. took about 4 weeks before they soaked enough water to stay on the bottom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you don't want in your dishwasher, why not a trash bin? I would say a pool as well but if its chilly where you are, people probably covered them all ready.

Yep, the pool is covered :icon_frow

Someone mentioned that it appears an Ent (Lord of the Rings) in standing in my tank :icon_smil

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ent?

Yep, the pool is covered :icon_frow

Someone mentioned that it appears an Ent (Lord of the Rings) in standing in my tank :icon_smil
Yess it does, my precioussss....

(I used to creep out my girlfriend with my impression of Gollum. Maybe that is why she is no longer my girlfriend. Oh well....)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
This one's taken. I loved Tolkien before 1/2 of ya'll were in diapers and longgg before anyone dreamed of making Liv Tyler an elf!! :icon_lol:

Grapewood tends to be soft and decompose really quickly in a tank. If this is the root it might be harder, but keep an eye on it, b/c if it starts rotting it could cause ammonia and/or algae issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.