·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cycled flex 9 for shrimp.
the water parameters were about:
GH: 3, KH: 0, PH: 6.5

I managed to raise GH with aquavitro shrimp GH to about 6

I tried over the past week to raise the KH anywhere higher than 0, but failed.

I added about 2g of baking soda once, and the immediate test result is about 2 but the next day it went back to 0 again.
Today I added about 3-4g gradually and the PH went from 5.9 to 6.7 and KH was about 3

but with the CO2 on, the PH falls to 6.4 now and there is again no KH at all.

I read that CO2 doesn't/shouldn't affect the KH, what did I miss?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
629 Posts
No, it's the Fluval Stratum!

It will pull kh for many months. How long it takes depends on how much you put in.

I prefer some kh in my tanks (I keep mine at 1 dKh) so I would just start adding enough baking soda at water change to get to whatever target you set. No more no less and preferably low so you don't see-saw back and forth. That's hard on shrimp. Eventually the substrate will "fill up" and then your additions will stick around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it's the Fluval Stratum!

It will pull kh for many months. How long it takes depends on how much you put in.

I prefer some kh in my tanks (I keep mine at 1 dKh) so I would just start adding enough baking soda at water change to get to whatever target you set. No more no less and preferably low so you don't see-saw back and forth. That's hard on shrimp. Eventually the substrate will "fill up" and then your additions will stick around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
thanks.

I am thinking to try to keep it at about 1, so shrimps won't have a hard time or get killed for huge KH jump, until the stratum is filled up. I put a whole 8.8 lb bag all in :-(

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Are these Neocaridina? If so, once adapted they do just fine at 0 dKH on soil. Just makes it hard to sell babies since most everyone keeps them in harder water. But I'm not of the mind that trying to make your soil spent is a wise route to go.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a cycled flex 9 for shrimp.
the water parameters were about:
GH: 3, KH: 0, PH: 6.5

I managed to raise GH with aquavitro shrimp GH to about 6

I tried over the past week to raise the KH anywhere higher than 0, but failed.

I added about 2g of baking soda once, and the immediate test result is about 2 but the next day it went back to 0 again.
Today I added about 3-4g gradually and the PH went from 5.9 to 6.7 and KH was about 3

but with the CO2 on, the PH falls to 6.4 now and there is again no KH at all.

I read that CO2 doesn't/shouldn't affect the KH, what did I miss?:confused::confused:

Ph is supposed to fall when you have your C o2 on. Completely normal , the avg ideal for planted tanks is close to a 1.0 drop. I would check your kh test kit against a known kh to see if it accurate.
If you are doing shrimp , i recommend salty shrimp. gh/kh+ when properly measured you get perfect shrimp breeding conditions . Game changer and easy to do.I use it with tropica specialized with great results .

I also make my own gh booster for my other tanks and use baking soda with great results .

Diy Remineralizers
diy kh booster
1.12 grams baking soda
10 gallon tank by 1dkh
1tsp =4.5 grams
1 tsp raises 10G by 4.5 dkh

diy gh booster
This maintains the golden 3/1 mag/calcium ratio.
CaCl 6 grams
Mgso4 7 grams
1 gram raises gh of 10G by 1dGH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.