The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my 17th Birthday and I was planning on just doing sketches for my room, backyard, and room(redoing alot of places). It didnt start this way at all.

I fell asleep last night at almost 1:00 am because I had to study for the STAR Testing History and Science test today. I wake up 5 hours and 45 minutes later. I burnt my Cheese Omlet I made for myself and so I didnt eat since I had 10 minutes until I had to leave. So I decided just have some Apple Juice. It was a Glass jar and the bottom broke because when I turned around my brother bumped into me and it hit the fridge door. I had to change my clothes. I was 25 minutes late and I had to rush through my test to get done on time or they take it away. :thumbsdow

My teacher gave me my work permit before I left and I start monday I believe. But my story dont end here :icon_mad:.

Walking home a car drove through a puddle and I had mud in my hair and on the right side of my body. I had to take a shower and change my clothes again. Then I tripped and fell dont a rock mound :icon_mad: . When I got home. I found the shrimp from my North American tank on the stand, still wet thankfully. And now Im trying to recover from one of the worst birtdays I have ever had.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Happy 17th!
I hope your day gets better.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow James,

You're only about 2.5 years older than my son :(. Happy Birthday and the day isn't over yet! Be thankful you made the test and none of that glass ended anywhere that needed immediate medical attention ;).

Happy birthday again and have fun tonight :). Let your girlfriend know what a bad day you've had and maybe things will get better.;)

Tina

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm sorry your birthday was bad. Look at the bright side; you're young, you have plenty of opportunities in your future for BEST birthdays ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't mean to not sound compassionate but for the STAR standardized testing aren't you allowed as much time as you need to finish the test? I too am 17 and I took the same test. (Even though I didn't take US history this year.) Why did you take both the Science and the History in the same day. Is that normal for your district?

I took those tests a couple weeks ago though? I guess there not as standardized as I thought.

Don't worry STAR testing means very little for you personally.
At my school my teachers make it worth one test in your next years class in that subject. Thats just so we show up and take the test.:)

Shot and stabbed? Wow I thought my school was in a tough area I guess vicious crimes can even occur in Michigan. Was it a robbery, gang related, random violence?

·
Registered
174 Posts
From a teacher:

You are allowed as much time as you need on STAR testing.

STAR is currently important to schools rather than students, but that may change. Colleges are supposedly unhappy with the rampant grade inflation that takes place and STAR (in theory) in a more accurate reflection of a student than their grades. The teachers in our district are taking a lot of heat when the grades the students earn don't match up with the STAR scores. That's why there's a big push for standards based assessment and instruction throughout the state. If a school does poorly enough, long enough, it's possible the state will step in and decide how the school will be run (IMO worse for administrators and students than it is for teachers).

James--sorry to hear you had a rotten B-day. I hope the rest of your year makes up for it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow. Very bad day. Just remember about all the less fortunate people in the world though. And sorry about your girlfriend. That sucks.

And you studied for your STAR testing? Isn't that just a test to see how smart the school is and has barely nothing to do with you personally? Jesus I just flashed through that test :p. I'm still taking it though. And for me its one subject per day for 4 days. No studying at all.

Its not the SAT I don't know why you'd study for that thing. It's easy isn't it?

And I didn't know cars and mud puddles did that :p. I only saw it on tv/movies. We don't get mud here :p.

Well Happy Birthday. Perhaps not a happy one. Sad Birthday!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. Very bad day. Just remember about all the less fortunate people in the world though. And sorry about your girlfriend. That sucks.

And you studied for your STAR testing? Isn't that just a test to see how smart the school is and has barely nothing to do with you personally? Jesus I just flashed through that test :p. I'm still taking it though. And for me its one subject per day for 4 days. No studying at all.

Its not the SAT I don't know why you'd study for that thing. It's easy isn't it?

And I didn't know cars and mud puddles did that :p. I only saw it on tv/movies. We don't get mud here :p.

Well Happy Birthday. Perhaps not a happy one. Sad Birthday!
I can definitely think about people less fortunate than I. I was homeless from 2 1/2 years of age to 6 years of age. I know what its like to not have anything and I can honestly sit there and say its who you hae with you that makes the difference. My GF was so kool that she didnt care about what I looked like or my weight but that I was me. She always supported me, ever since I known her(2nd grade and Im in 11th now). My best friend in the whole world is never going to be next to me and I have to deal with it.

I live 2 blocks from my teacher and she wanted me to study. She said that she will check up on me(and she did once) just to make sure. It was harder than I thought, probably because I was half asleep though.

I didnt know cars did that either. Well now I know lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts