The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a separate timer for the light, CO2, and air pump. I just have not been able to locate a good reliable analog timer. I've been through 2 digital timers, and I won't buy another one. My analog timer for aeration (1 month old), just died. The analog timers do seem to last longer for me. Can anyone recommend a reliable analog timer. I won't even bother to build an "auto-doser", until I can safely locate a viable source that I can depend on. Thanks in-advance for any suggestions.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I find the Ikea ones to be very good. They come in packs of two and are ~$5. I can't find the link right now because I'm at work, but the cool thing about these is you can have it turn on/off as many times as you want in a day versus just the standard on/off ones I'm used to.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you killed two digital and one analog timers, I'd be looking at the power quality. Something is not right.
Start with your power company and ask for an in house audit.

I hate spending money needlessly, but if the power company can't help I suggest bringing in an electrician for a consult.

·
Registered
292 Posts
By "analog" I assume you mean mechanical. Mechanical timers don't keep very good time, long term.

Mechanical or digital, the consumer timers are designed to be as cheap as possible, since that's what their typical customer bases their buying decision on. You get what you pay for. I bought a consumer-grade digital timer recently, and had to take it apart and re-assemble it to get it to work - the factory had just hastily slapped it together.

You can get well-built, reliable timers, but it'll cost ya: http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/electronic time switches/7-day electronic time switch.aspx If you want something super-reliable at a not-outrageous price, a low-end aquarium controller like a Reefkeeper Lite may be the way to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses. Yes indeed, I get a lot of "power bumps", and yes I've called the power company, and they have agreed with me.....? I have all my aquarium equipment (even the computer) connected to a very good UPS. I had a coral life digital timer plug strip, and it lasted about 2 days. I appreciate the links, and I will research the higher end equipment next. I will make sure they have a decent warranty. I thought implementing the UPS into the equation would remedy most of my problems. Thanks again!:smile:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Yes indeed, I get a lot of "power bumps", and yes I've called the power company, and they have agreed with me.....? I have all my aquarium equipment (even the computer) connected to a very good UPS. I had a coral life digital timer plug strip, and it lasted about 2 days. I appreciate the links, and I will research the higher end equipment next. I will make sure they have a decent warranty. I thought implementing the UPS into the equation would remedy most of my problems. Thanks again!:smile:
You can't afford a good UPS. To really lock down surges with a UPS, you're looking for something that has double conversion. Look into a whole house surge arrester like this one: http://www.stopsurges.com/CUTLER-HAMMER-BRSURGE-BR-TYPE-INTERCHANGEABLE-SURGE-BREAKER-BRSURGE.htm

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Most of today's UPS units won't work well with 120 volt appliances such as timers, air pumps, water pumps, magnetic drives, etc. The output of most UPS units is a sine wave or modified sine wave and AC appliances are designed to run on square wave current. Ironically a belt driven piston air pump from sixty years ago can run quite well.

Definitely keep the computer plugged into a UPS unit. They have saved my work and sanity more than once. We have decent power most of the year, but in the really hots days of summer we get low voltage periods and micro second stutters that can fry electronics.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The loudest thing on my 90g is one of the mechanical timers. :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the info. I will do some research on a main breaker for my 200 amp service breaker panel. Hope I can find one that fits "Square D". I think I repaired my air pump timer (keep my fingers crossed). I've been working a long time to get my tank balanced. *And now, it looks as if I've been successful in my efforts. The plants are growing faster than I could ever anticipate. I didn't think this would occur, and now that it has.....the reward is perplexing.:) Sorry to stray off the main topic, just venting my happiness! Thank you all at Planted Tank Forum!!!:)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I don't know if it is within your budget but I've found the Coralife Power Center to be a great product. I use several and have found them to be very handy and to last for several years. You can read more about them here http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp56300/si1382994/cl0/coralifepowercenterwavemaker.
I have the same but with two timers, still mechanical though. I love it. However, many people have had a bunch of issues with these so I am not sure it is the best bet, I have only had mine for a few months, then found people had issues with them after I bought it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a "Smart UPS" made by APC. I do believe they're top shelf. The Intermatic timer that was operating my air pump would lose 30 min of time inside of a couple of hours. It's now residing in the bottom of a trash can. ACE hardware had some Intermatic timers on sale ($2.99/ea); model# TN111C; and lifetime warranty. These have 2 sets of plastic "trip" plug-ins. I bought a couple for that price, and have kept the receipt.:icon_wink

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have a "Smart UPS" made by APC. I do believe they're top shelf. The Intermatic timer that was operating my air pump would lose 30 min of time inside of a couple of hours. It's now residing in the bottom of a trash can. ACE hardware had some Intermatic timers on sale ($2.99/ea); model# TN111C; and lifetime warranty. These have 2 sets of plastic "trip" plug-ins. I bought a couple for that price, and have kept the receipt.:icon_wink
This is a top shelf UPS. Notice the price tag of $1,856.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=1587141

Edit: Here's a 700 VA version for $500.
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9050469

Edit for clarity, if you APC cost you $500, than it is of comparable quality. My point is just that a quality UPS costs good money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts