The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I have had my 29g planted tank set up now for a few months and am having major issues with hair algae. I’m doing 30% water changes 1-2 times a week and am cleaning out lots, but by the next day it’s all grown back. I’m making sure not to over feed and my nitrates are around 20ppm. I dose GLA PPS-Pro ferts and use co2. My light is a finnex planted+ run for 7 hours, I’ve put a little bit of tape over it to bring down the intensity some. Not sure what the issue is!? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A good article on algae and algae control: Algae 101: what actually triggers algae in a planted tank

That 2 month mark or so always seems to be when I start fighting algae issues too.

I have had luck getting rid of hair algae by spot dosing it with hydrogen peroxide after pulling off as much as I could. I have also had good luck with heavily dosing Metracide but I did not have fish in the tank at the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I’ll read through that. I think this will be coming up on the end of month 3 of being cycled with fish. I’m planning to rescape things soon anyway when I get my new aqua soil so hopefully that will help.

I wanted to check in a see if anything seemed out of proportion as far as my dosing/lighting/co2 but I think it’s all fine. I have also had slow plant growth, not sure if this helps to give any insight on what’s going on

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
That’s a good amount of light. However, there is no way of telling how the tape is affecting the PAR (intensity) or PUR (quality) of the light. I’d take the tape off and let it run freely. You can always reduce the photoperiod or get a dimmer, if necessary. Let’s start by making sure that you have enough CO2. Use the pH-drop test:

Take a water sample from your tank and let it sit for, at least, 24 hours. Then, measure the dKH of the sample and the tank to make certain that they are identical. Then, measure the pH of both, making sure that the tank is full gassed (a couple hours after CO2 has been on). You should have, at least, a one-point lower pH value in the tank measurement.

When you have the pH results, please also supply the following:

• CO2 setup (pressurized or DIY?)
  • Current PO4, GH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each (include test kits used for NO3 and dKH)?
  • What you are dosing in terms of ppm (other than NO3), and how often?
  • Substrate type?
  • What is your filter setup?
  • Cleaning regimen (including filter)?
  • Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
  • What is your water source and do you use a water softener?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done some drop checking my ph typically drops from 7.8 to 7.2 during my co2 and light period. I use pressurized at 3-4 bps.

next I do GLA dry fertilizers with both macros and micros.

my filter is a fluval 207, I do 30% water changes weekly will some gravel vac, glass clean, plant maintenance, pick out algae. Recently I’ve needed to do 2 water changes per week to keep down the algae. My substrate is currently fluorite with root tabs, but I have ADA aqua soil in order that I’m planning to add ASAP

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Focus upon CO2 for a few weeks. Your numbers indicate a CO2 level of about 15ppm. You can easily double that. Use bps only as a guide as to whether or not you are adding or reducing as you turn the knob. You may be able to use it as a guide once you find the optimal level, although the bps may be too fast to count. Slowly raise CO2, watching fish for signs of distress, over 3-4 days until you reach pH of 6.8. Once you get there, keep an eye on your NO3 and PO4, and as a proxy for other nutrients as well. If CO2 is doubled, you may see growth that will require more ferts.

Once things are stable, if you still have remnant hair algae, this Excel treatment of 1ml/gal will take care of it, allowing a more or less clean start: Excel Treatment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.