The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'll make this quick. I just got my tank up and running a week ago and got it planted. Its been running fine this week, but then I thought something got put in it, but now I'm fairly sure that it wasn't put in it. Anyways thinking there was something put in the tank I did a 100% water change. I mean truly 100%. I took apart the filter completely cleaned the sponges and replaced the floss. I figured since its such a new tank with only plants and nothing else, I don't care too much about the bio filter, I just was worried about getting any remnant of what I thought was in the tank (but actually wasn't) Out of the tank. Anyways I refilled the tank last night and disturbed alot of substrate. That coupled with restarting the filter left me with a bright white milky bacterial bloom. (at least I'm nearly positive its a bacterial bloom.)

So How should I go about treating it? Ive greatly increased my surface agitation to get some oxygen exchange going. Should I still dose ferts and run Co2? Will it harm the plants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I doubt that is the bacteria because you have no fish in the tank. Is only been a week. You can add some water clarifier liquid. Or let the cloudiness to settle by itself. Generally, it takes a good 2 weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Too much going on in that tank! You may not have fish, but a healthy bacteria colony will keep the tank stablized and help keep all kinds of algae from smoothering your plants. Water changes, be gentle with the substrate and filter media, and avoid the urge to add any chemicals to the tank until it begins to stabilize (except, of course, a good water conditioner).

·
Registered
696 Posts
You don't need fish for bacteria to grow, you have plants, that's enough matter in the tank to start a bloom. With a white bloom, I wait it out. If it turns to green water, I'd throw a UV on it, clears it up in a matter of days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.