The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just formatting some pictures for an InDesign file and came up with a couple that show pretty well how to use a Trellis Raft + Hanging Planter combination with rambling stem plants, such as certain Bacopa.

I wish that I could find more stem plants that work well this way. I have tried Rotala rotundifolia a couple of times but it wouldn't grow for me. Bacopa grow reliably well and ocver the raft with a nice carpet of fine leaves. I have used monnieri, shown there on the raft, and another one, which might be B. madagascariensis--I'm not really sure. It looks just like monnieri, but it has bigger leaves(?).

Here's another shot with the better part of the raft covered.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My B. carolineana is growing well, but the ends keep trying to grow straight up to the light. That may be because the taller plants are shading it too much. I'm still trying to decide if that plant even needs a substrate, or will grow just as well hydroponically.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stuff that I suspect to be B. madagascariensis can cover a raft like that in a few weeks. B. monnieri is slower--I'd say five or six weeks to cover like that.

My B. caroliniana looks like it's growing too, but I can't really tell if it's just because the plant is elongating the stem tips and not really putting on much new foliage. I really hope to get that one to grow because it makes a beautiful carpet. It might just be slow-growing.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I should also point out. The plant will eventually make a more dense carpet than that. By trimming the stem tips where they grow beyond the edge of the raft the plant is encouraged to back bud and develop an even bushier form. When lined up on the rear pane of glass the other plants will also cover and obscure the raft and planter cup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts