The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...would bacopa do well emersed in a 2 gallon bowl on a south facing windowsill, with a soil/clay mixture for substrate, water for a few inches, and plastic wrap over the opening? Better yet, would it flower?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Grah the great,

Absolutely! I grow about 40+ species emersed from future 'scapes including Bacopa salzmannii and Bacopa madagascariensis. Here is a good source for information on most aquarium plant species and whether they grow emersed or not. Click on the species for details about it including if emersed growth is possible.

Emersed plant bank

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thankx! Do you think it will also flower, though? That would be really nice...
Hi Grah the great,

Yes, if they have sufficient light and nutrients they will flower; this time of year I have several species flowering in my emersed set-up. Here is a picture of Pogostemon erectus that was flowering this week.

Pogostemon erectus flower

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankx again! Two more questions:
1 - How do you fertilize these emersed plants?
2 - Can I poke one or two pencil sized holes in the plastic wrap to encourage gas exchange, or would that cause the humidity to drop too low?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thankx again! Two more questions:
1 - How do you fertilize these emersed plants?
2 - Can I poke one or two pencil sized holes in the plastic wrap to encourage gas exchange, or would that cause the humidity to drop too low?
Hi Grah the great,

1) I use Miracle-Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food; I mix it to about 1/2 strength and when the containers need water is use the fertilizer. Here is a thread I did on my emersed set-up; read it through because the components of the set up changed and evolved over time (sorry links/pics in that thread are missing; Snapfish moved all of the locations and only members can view now).

2) Absolutely, that is why the caps on my humidomes are 'cocked' at an angle to allow some air exchange however the more air exchange the more watering that will be required.

Cryptocorynes can be grown emersed and some variants are colorful and even bloom.

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'

Cryptocoryne usteriana x walkeri with flower

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thankx again! One more question...would the fertilizer be safe to use if fish or shrimp were kept in the water portion?
Hi Grah the great,

No, I would not use Miracle-Gro General Purpose Water Soluble in a tank with fish or shrimps, the nitrogen sources are ammoniacal nitrate and urea, both of which can be toxic to fish or shrimp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.