GH: 7dGH

PH: 7.2

Nitrates: 30ppm

Phosphates: 2ppm

Iron: 0.5ppm

Co2: Yes

Lighting: High (Over 100 PAR)

Substrate: Soil capped with sand.

Fertilization: 4 pumps of thrive+ weekly, dosage of Fe and NO3 when necessary.

Other plants in the aquarium are:
Pearlweed
Red Tiger Lotus
Rotala mexicana goias
Rotala rotundifolia blood red
Rotala wallichii
Dwarf hairgrass

Struggling plants:
Rotala wallichii
Dwarf hairgrass is growing and looks healthy, but not as fast as other people growing it.

Iron was just raised around a day ago since I had a deficiency of it in other plants, especially the rotala rotundifolia. I had no way of dosing it before but now I do.

There are no visibly deficiencies, it's green and looks healthy, but has had no growth in the past 2 months I have had the aquarium.

Help is wanted and appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Interesting - you general parameters seem fine. I personally have my water column NO3 at around 10ppm (yes, I dose less) and the water column PO4 in the 2-3 range. My Bacopa Caroliniana grows probably 2 inches per week under >100par.
Curious, with your soil based tank how do the roots look?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting - you general parameters seem fine. I personally have my water column NO3 at around 10ppm (yes, I dose less) and the water column PO4 in the 2-3 range. My Bacopa Caroliniana grows probably 2 inches per week under >100par.
Curious, with your soil based tank how do the roots look?
I have not checked out the roots due to my fear of bringing up a ton of dirt with it. However, for science, I will do it this one time!

Just did it and snapped a pic. Man that was nerve-wrecking, it just would not come out. That root system is insane for a little piece of bacopa that hasn't grown at all. The root system is even bigger underwater.

This stem is very different looking in terms of leaf distribution and size from the others. The other looks much more healthy with more leaves and larger leaves, none with the little yellow parts at the end. I can only imagine their root systems.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Your root system is not surprising given the soil based substrate. I typically pull mine out every 2 weeks, chop off the bottoms and shove back into the Eco Complete substrate. Mine typically do not have a very big root system like yours.
Suggestion, drop down 1 internode from the top and cut off the top. Give it 3 weeks ish and see if it will give you new growth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your root system is not surprising given the soil based substrate. I typically pull mine out every 2 weeks, chop off the bottoms and shove back into the Eco Complete substrate. Mine typically do not have a very big root system like yours.
Suggestion, drop down 1 internode from the top and cut off the top. Give it 3 weeks ish and see if it will give you new growth.
Unfortunately I can say I have done this on another piece of bacopa in this tank without success. The stem stays healthy and doesn't uproot (although I've never looked at its roots I assume they are as good as this one), but it does not grow. It literally just sits there and does nothing. It's frustrating as this was planted in my background with a ton of stems from my old tank, yet it's not growing. If I wanted to remove it and put another plant there, bye bye this tank because of that dirt.. lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.