The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had this plant for two weeks and am not having any luck. My tank is a 20 long with a finnex 24/7 dimmed down. I dose liquid ei ferts and have a fluval co2 system. I have root tabs under the bacopa. I originally planted the stems in a bunch but after a few days I spread them out. The plant is losing most of its leaves and the roots and bottom of stem are brownish, looks like it's rotting away. I've been told this plant was easy but so
Far it hasn't been. What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
it is a pretty easy plant to grow but has fleshy stems that can be crushed easily so I would cut them leaving about 4-5 inch's and discard the bottom remove the bottom leaves and plant carefully where the light is brightest.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is a pretty easy plant to grow but has fleshy stems that can be crushed easily so I would cut them leaving about 4-5 inch's and discard the bottom remove the bottom leaves and plant carefully where the light is brightest.
Doogy can you please respond so I can save this plant before it's too late

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had this happen when I was first trying to get Bacopa to grow in my tank. It was ugly, but all I had to do was wait. If you're seeing growth in the crowns, let it grow until there's a few inches of healthy leaves. It's probably just adjusting, and might take some time. Without knowing what your parameters are, I'd say your setup is more than adequate in terms of light, CO2, and nutrients.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This always happens to bacopa when I add it to my tank. The bottom portion always looses it's leafs and sometimes the stem portion gets brown and "melts". I just leave them and let them acclimate and do their thing. If the bottom really melts away, I'll take the top, healthier portion and replant it. Just takes time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again, where does the plant takes her nutrients? Are there fishes in this tank?

The Finnex ramp is dimmed down to what level?

Michel.
I only have one Otto in it right now haven't got any fish yet. The plants have a root tab under them and get micros and macros, co2 and excel. The finnex I just changed it the other day to be on the sunny mode for 8 hrs a day. So it shouldn't be lacking anything but time. I will give it a few weeks and see what happens

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would run the light in 24/7 mode. I have one on my 20 long and I dose micro and macros alternating every day, 3ml of excel a day, 1 ml of iron every 3 days, 1 ml of potassium every other day, and use diy co2 and my bacopa grows an inch per day.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would run the light in 24/7 mode. I have one on my 20 long and I dose micro and macros alternating every day, 3ml of excel a day, 1 ml of iron every 3 days, 1 ml of potassium every other day, and use diy co2 and my bacopa grows an inch per day.
An inch a day? That's crazy. Hopefully I can get mine to do that. Do you have any algae problems in the 24/7 mode

·
Registered
221 Posts
An inch a day? That's crazy. Hopefully I can get mine to do that. Do you have any algae problems in the 24/7 mode
The first week or so I had some algae show up on the glass, but that's it. I don't test the water at all and I only do water changes like once a month. I do top offs every 3 days or so. I like to use the "if it's not broke, then don't fix it" method and I leave the tank alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.