The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had these Bacopa Caroliniana and Rotala Coin Leaf planted for about a week now and am thinking about cutting all of the stems by half and planting the tops so it's all clumped together. I have CO2 and want to get this nice and dense. Is it too soon to prune? (Excuse the Tupperware - trying to seed some BB from another tank)
View attachment 1035618

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
188 Posts
The link is broken and I can't view the picture. But usually on my new setup with co2 I do a first trim of the stem plants around a week to 2 weeks depending on how much new growth I see. If you are seeing new growth on top since adding the plants, then go for it. If you can find some nodes with aerial roots that's an even better cut point.

When you do go to trim them in half, make sure to cut the very top off of the cutting before replanting. This will ensure that both cut stems will grow two branches off each, and you will now have 4 stems growing off 2 original stems. Make sure to plant them an inch apart to avoid overcrowding too early as you want all the cuttings to get enough light as they fill in. Once they fill in a bit you can start to pack the cuttings together more densely. Continuously do this as they grow out and you will have a nice bushy look in no time. I've found rotala much easier to get bushy than bacopa, bacopa is a bit on the slow side depending on how much PAR you are running. Either way bacopa can be trimmed and replanted the same way I stated above. In my dutch tank I pretty much had to do this weekly because when I first started the tank I ran high light rich co2 and EI dosing to fill the tank in faster. Once I got them to fill in with fast growth and good trimming technique I changed my dosing up to APT complete and started limiting nitrates to get some of my rotala variants red. I still have to spend about an hour a week doing trimming and about 2 hours every month uprooting and cutting off old bottoms and replanting the tops. Dutch tanks are real B words to take care of, but beautiful ones at that. I'm a slave to that tank and it's only 5 gallons lol!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts