The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I can't use the stuff in my lawn but I have nieghbors that could help me out, never the less this is a good thread and you should copy and paste the highlights into a sticky, I'm subscribed so I come back every so often to see if anything has been added.

You should try wild Geranium, most untreated lawns might have some or the flower beds.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ooh, mint sounds like a good idea. I'm fairly sure they'd be happy to take peach leaves, they are pretty fond of most other fruit tree leaves. Watch out for treated trees though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dandelion leaves are fairly nutritious... basically on par with other "greens," such as turnip greens, kale and collards. After the Civil War, during Reconstruction, much of the South's population were destitute and ill-fed. These readily available greens like dandelion and "poke salad" (which are toxic if not prepared correctly), became a routine staple in the diets of poorer Southerners, both black and white. All that's needed is a little bit of salt pork to season the greens during cooking.

Many Southerners, from 1865 to today, consider "beans and greens" to be a good meal, if both are seasoned with pork and served with cornbread. I am in this category, myself... History lesson is over. Go back to watching your shrimp.
I love me some Poke Salad. My Grandma always made. I remember going out filling 10~15 50 gallon trashbags full of it. Ahh what days those were.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts