The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i reallized i don't think i ever posted stuff on my pond.
I got a job today....at a pond store!!!!!:):):):)

anyway, the manager gave me a big native lilly, some parrots feather, and lemon bacopa for free!
Thanks to toddnbecka, i have a nice little purple lilly too.
there's some shubunkins, sarasas, and normal comets in there, and some cabomba.

The liner is from my g-pa's old pool, (can't beat free).

the waterfall has english variegated ivy, and pothos, there is a philedendron back behind it, but my dog dug it up.

i have a 1000g/hr pump w/prefilter, and a tetra brand canister filter.

these pics are from startup, right after the waterfall was finished.
oh yea, the rock wall still isn't done.

oH YEA, my grandpa has had a pond for years, he gave me the filter, pump, liner, etc, he's awesome, he gave me the advice needed to get this done.
I geuss this is crediting him.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.
still haven't finished, but she's planted pretty good.

red tiger lotus(nymphaea zenkeri)

venezuelen poppy

parrot's feather, imperial taro, small snowflakes.

ditto

hardy lilly

purple pickeral rush

wild lilly

sago palm

waterfall, plants include- greentaro, mexican petunia, pennywort, parrot's feather, mixed mosses, english variagated ivy, pothos, and lemon bacopa.

a shot at my fish, not so good.

and my lil girl.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fantastic little pond! How many hours of sun does it get per day? How do you plan to cover the edge of the pool liner?

I have a 17 gal tub on my back porch which has been a lot of fun. I would love to have a big pond some day. (Better get a yard first!)

Your lil girl is a cutie! She looks like she's begging for treats. I know that look...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's beggin for fish food!
she eats it out of the pond! loves it.

yea, i'm just too lazy to go stack rocks on the liner.

it gets about 4-5 hours maybe of sun in the one spot where the lilly is, that's the only direct sun it gets, most of it's covered by trees, the pickeral never flowers because it's in the shade actually.

for comparison, my grandpa has the same lilly(from the same plant i got mine from) in his pond with full sun.

his lilly has bloomed 3 times, he feeds it 1x monthly.
mine has bloomed 2x, with 2x monthly ferts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a hardy lily in my tub pond (burgundy princess?), but I only get 4 hours of full sun, so I don't know if it will ever bloom.

Do you fertilize with pond tabs? I planted mine in cheap top soil with a tablespoon of osmocote a month ago. I covered the pot with a half inch of soil master select.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What a SWEET little pond, Devin!! That waterfall is fabulous! One of these days I'll have one as well. LOVE the sound of that falling water. Man, you did a super nice job on this. Can't wait to see it once the lilies start blooming and you finish it.

When those poppies and snowflakes get overcrowded, give me a holler ~ I'd love to trade you some pond plants for some of them. I have some goodies you might like ~ Thalia dealbata, sweet flag, water clover, etc. I even have some of the giant papyrus, the really tall kind. If I can ever get it to grow well (it's been limping along for the two years I've had it) I'd love to share some with you if you don't think it's too big for your pond.

And your dog looks JUST like my Mickey Girl!! I need to post a pic. It's uncanny how alike they look ~ they could be clones! What's your girl's name? How old is she? Is she a lab or lab mix? Mine's a mix, about eight years old, and the sweetest dog you could ever ask for.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kelly: yes, i use pondsafe brand aquatic tabs.

Linda- I love the poppy and stuff, but it definately grows- FAST!!!
i started with a tiny plant, you could have fit 2 on a quarter, they're almost to blooming size now. the poppy is one of the few plants i bought, alot of the plants were given to me by my boss.
it's cool, i want to make a little pit in my liner somehow and plant it in the pond, not potted, so it can spreand freely.

Mylilly blooms, it's a white and yellow bloom, called virginalis.

If you want i can probally give you some baby tropical lillies later on, they're seeds now, but if they ever sprout, i'll have dozens of them, which my pond just can't hold.

gotta love thalia, we have red stem and dealbata at work, one is like 9ft tall in our bog.

Do you know anyone who would sell me a little bit of water hyacith?[keep it on the downlo, i think it's illegal in TX]. I have been searching for some for months.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My thalia isn't that tall yet. The horses kept getting into the area where it is and they kept eating it. ACK! :icon_lol: They pulled it out of the pot, too ~ I need to repot it. I really need to do lots of work on my ponds. They've been neglected this year terribly.

I'd love some tropical lilies! I like those the best. I was worried that they wouldn't survive outside in our climate ~ that I'd have to drag them inside every year. But the Zanzibar came back a couple years in a row in my 1200 gallon pond. Nice.

I've been looking for some water hyacinth myself. I lost mine last winter. Yeah, it's illegal in Texas, but that's because it goes nuts in South Texas. Up here it doesn't survive the winter ~ sometimes it won't even survive the heat of summer. *sigh* If I'm lucky and find some, I'll let you know. Would you do the same for me? Thanks! :)

So, you want a little start of the thalia? Or can you get some from work? Or would it take up too much room in your pond?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a huge fan of thalia, it's a bug attractant, but then again, that would help keep the critters off my taros!!
I'll let you know when i'm ready to split some snowflake and poppy, and i'll also let you know on the hyacinth.
I'm looking for grassy plants right now, smaller cattails, rushes, reeds, bamboos.

BTW: looking for some fairy moss(azolla caroliniana)? we give it away for anyone who wants some, it's pretty invasive, choked out our duckweed in one tank.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes, I certainly am looking for azolla! Believe it or not, I had some and lost it. I had it growing thickly in my lotus tubs and am not sure what happened to it. It just disappeared.

So thalia's a bug attractant, huh? Bummer. Mine hasn't had that problem yet, but it hasn't gotten as big as it can. I have a lily like that. I'm constantly having to wipe the aphids off it and feed the fish with them.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aphids suck!
we have only 2 tanks with them right now, luckily.

if you stop by, we'll give you a few pounds worth of azolla! it's pretty invasuve in a few tanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cool! Levi still hasn't gotten his learner's permit. *sigh* He's been too busy working for his girlfriend's dad and they've been QUITE busy. But by summer's end I hope to get out and about doing some driving with him.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just realized i think i like thalia alot more now, it's bloom in our bog is well over like 15 ft.

i have 2 snowflake growing now, and the poppy is running.

anyway, got some new terrestrials for around the pond.
first- ,my favorite terrestrial, Philidendron monstera(Monstera deliciosa)
got it at a place called jabon nursery, 16$.

AND... my lotus are comin on up, 2 have 3 leaves and a leaf curl, one has 2 leaves unfurling.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ahhhhh! Monstera!! I LOVE that plant! I've been looking for the variegated form for a while now. What's the second plant? I like it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
second plant is white veined anthuriam.

I personally don't like the variagated form, it's too much like....domesticated for me.

I searched all over until a llady at water garden gems refered me to jabon, awesome place, very unorganized, but they have nice plants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.