The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My question is what do I use for my tanks background? I was thinking of just a plain black background. Do I just get a black piece of paper and put in on there? or cloth?

I don't know what you guys use for backgrounds. Like what does Takashi Amano use?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
16,969 Posts
How large is your tank? Dimensions?

If it's large, spray paint is a good option. If it's small, adhesive vinyl (the kind used for sign and window lettering) is a solid choice and it's cheap on eBay.

Standard backgrounds from your LFS are also reliable and are easily applied with a bit of mineral oil.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I've got several options going on my tanks.

My 5 gal has no background. It is in front of a dark red wall right now which works, but I am moving it soon and it will have white behind it. I'm not sure if I will like that as much.

My 10 gal also has no background, but it is placed where you can see it from both sides.

I painted the back of my 29 gal black and have a store-bought background on my 55 gal. Personally, I prefer the painted one. So much so that when the 55 gets a redo later this year, the background is outta here and I will be painting it...unless I get ambitious and make a rock wall for it.

My 90 acrylic came with the back already done in black.

Personally, I like solid backgrounds rather than pictures. Color depends on what kind of look you are going for. I like the way my plants and fish...even the driftwood...looks against the dark black background. But if you are going for more of an landscape type of feel, then lighter, pale hues of blue might be more appropriate...to mimic the afternoon sky. All depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I am personally trying to figure out right now what to do with a 30 gallon hex background for a Southeast Asian biotope. I am leaning towards painted...but not sure of the color yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool guys, thanks for all the ideas. Ill be sure to put a cool looking background up! :)

Also I think that Takashi Amano just uses some type of material the diffuses the light and makes it look soft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.