The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible a white background might induce more schooling behavior than a black one?

I figure most fish school for security and food, so the brighter setting makes them uncomfortable.

Just an observation from alot of these bright aquascapes that have schools of fish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it possible a white background might induce more schooling behavior than a black one?

I figure most fish school for security and food, so the brighter setting makes them uncomfortable.

Just an observation from alot of these bright aquascapes that have schools of fish.
I think that lighting, plant density, and water quality will be more likely to induce fish to their natural schooling behavior...however, since backgrounds of any color block the outside from view, this could help also reduce stress and cause fish to revert to natural behavior...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
In the short run maybe but not in the long run. Once the fish figure out they are safe in a tank most will loose the "real" schooling behaviour anyway, that is if there are no harmful fish in the tank with them. Fish are smarter then we give them credit for.

·
Registered
679 Posts
In the short run maybe but not in the long run. Once the fish figure out they are safe in a tank most will loose the "real" schooling behaviour anyway, that is if there are no harmful fish in the tank with them. Fish are smarter then we give them credit for.
+1 Adaptation

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's more choosing the correct species, and stocking the correct number to get the schooling action. You could always sacrifice a few sheets of printer paper to test this out...Or how bout tin foil :) that would brighten things up! I suppose most of these schooling fish quit schooling at night, so maybe if you have dark spots under your plants, the school won't be in session.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts