The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I’m new around here so please excuse me if I leave out any important details. Happy to answer any clarifying questions. Here is my new nano, with details below:

Water Vertebrate Fish supply Pet supply Plant

Substrate: eco complete
Light: stock led
Hardscape: spiderwood, lava rock, quartz
Plants: anubias (coffeefolia I think), Java moss, Java fern
Stocking: eventually snowball shrimp (Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis)

My question: I like how the low light and dark background/substrate would really contrast with with the white shrimp, but I would like enough plants in there to provide plenty of surface area for grazing and help with water quality. With the light being SO low, I know my options are limited. My plan is to fill in some space around the hardscape with some smaller anubias and mosses to maintain focus on the lines of the spiderwood. There’s a 2-3” deep dead zone in the back, though, which I feel kinda obligated to do something with. Does anyone know of any low light plants that grow relatively tall that could fill in the background, or have another idea entirely? I don’t want to take away too much from the central feature, but I’d like there to be more shrimp-friendly space back there. A note: I modified this tank by taking out the back panel with its built in filtration system. There is a small sponge filter instead. I am not opposed to swapping out the stock light with something better - that was actually my original plan, but I realized I like the current vibe and didn’t want to change it without a plan.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would try a cryptocoryne speciess if I were you. They tend to do pretty well in low light and it is a different looking leaf from anything you have in there now. Try a Wendtii brown or green.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your suggestion. I hadn’t looked into crypts yet because I’ve thought of them as being on the small bushy side, but I see there is a lot of variation available in size and form, so I can definitely check that out. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts