The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing custom fit mirrors for the background on my corner bowfront (55g) tank. Has anybody done this have pics? Any reasons why or why not to do this?

I plan on moving my pair of kribs into there and having a semi aggressive tank (kribs, barbs maybe, some schooling tetras of somesort), would the mirror cause stress to the territorial kribs you think?

Thanks.
kara

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
They'll be displaying to each other every time that they see their own reflection. Good for photography purposes, but otherwise, would cause undue stress to the fish.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
if you look at my 29gal pictures, they all have a mirror background, not up against the tank glass itself, but mounted on the back of the tank cabinet three inches away from the tank glass. I like the way it adds depth to my ~11" deep tank, and my fish really don't seem to notice at all. I have a separate 12"x16" 99¢ store shaving mirror that I occasionally put right up against the side glass that my fish notice and swim up and down against, so distracting your fish may depend on how close to the tank glass you mount your mirrored surface. If you have a choice between a mirror tank back, and mirroring the back of your cabinet, I would do the cabinet so you get the benefits of a mirror without the risk driving your fish to distraction. a mirror back may also capture some of the light lost through your glass, and reflect it back in at your plants. eventually I hope to get a larger 24" deep tank and go with a rocky 3D background, but for now the mirror helps give my tank more viewing bang for the buck. I would experiment with a shaving mirror first from different distances and see how that goes. I've read accounts by some cichlid owners that claim their fish actually recognize human faces, so if you have fish with that high level of visual acuity, perhaps mirrors would not be a good idea after all. as for photography, I find my mirror makes it more difficult to use a flash, or take photos during the daytime when there is so much ambient sunlight begin reflected around the room.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks. I plan on having quite a few plants and some hardscape in the tank so that should help the territory situation. I will see about maybe mounting the mirrors on the wall, it'll depend on the studs and such.

Kara

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.